• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 bobbed as Expedition vehicle?

GoHot229

I guess one point to address is the fact of the 'Multi-fuel' motor being for the most part , able to digest the fuels you are likely to come across in some of the more remote sections of your journey, especially in the southern latitudes. The multifuel is a good choice there within reason, however some of the roads may be too narrow even for a Deuce, four or six or ten wheeled. These very roads are in Bolivia, you may find them on your route.

Attachments

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd recommend something like a diesel-powered Suburban. You should be able to find something from the mid-90s for a reasonable price. This would offer you comfort, ruggedness, and room for storage. Good A/C and heat are a plus. Install a stout roof rack and away you go.

wehring

Had both...

Here is a diesel powered Excursion that I built. The roof rack tied into the frame with 3/8 plate and I put a truck vault storage system in the back.

The next photos are a bobbed deuce I built with a CBC shell in the trailer.

The Excursion was nice bit it was not the deuce. The price is also something to consider. $60K in the Excursion and $10K in the deuce.

Justin

Attachments

wehring

Thanks

Thanks... nothing out-of-the-box on it. I had the springs built for that application. 14 leaf rear pack and 11 leaf front pack, deuce bumpers front and rear, Detroit lockers, ATS diesel tranny, etc etc etc. Put 219,000 miles on it and sold it to a guy in Canada three years ago for $13K

Still miss it today.

Justin

wehring

Yup

Yup, cheapo 1000#.

They are on sale right now for $99 (reg $169). The piston rusts easily but so far it has been a good addition. I just keep it stored in the fully retracted position to protect the shaft from the elements.

Side note: if you buy one note the location of the rotation stop holes. There is a pin that you can insert at different positions to lock the hoist from rotating. the factory holes are oversized and the hoist flops around a lot while driving. The fix: rotate the base 90* and the holes will not align for a front facing storage location. I put the arm next to my side rail and drilled a SMALLER hole that just fits the lock pin. It hardly moves in the stowed position.

Justin

IHASFIP

I've never really notice those problems that much. I mean sure the turning radius isn't great but really why by a 6x6 if you want a 4x4? Why not buy a 4x4 and put the rockwell axles under it?
A agree. I thinking bobbing a deuce is useless. I mean a bobbed deuce is just a big, slow, underpowered 4x4. At least an unbobbed has 6 wheel drive. That is just my .02$. But to each their own. They do look cool and some have been upgraded very nicely such as Devilman's Diablo. I just personally see no use for one. Our rockcrawler with rockwells will go a thousand more places than a bobbed deuce and has way more power, stops alot better, and can go the speed limit and still get 20 mpg. The deuce does have the cool factor though. I guess it is just a big toss up. I'll quit rambling now......

:)

D

Hammer

Once you drive a bobbed deuce, you will know what the attraction is!
For that trip, the 6x6 version would make better sense. More reliable that way as well.
Heck, you can blow two tires, and still be able to drive JUST FINE!
Easy enough to chain up one axle and keep going without wheels on that axle.

My opinion, drive a few, see how they feel.
I am used to driving trucks though, so it's not that big of a deal for the back roads with a slow vehicle like the deuce. Just think ahead, and you can go almost anywhere you want to.

This is exactly what I am considering my deuce for. Definitely keeping it 6x6. Less ground pressure, better off road performance. Large single tires. With larger tires you can expect a cruising speed of 60. Crank up the fuel a wee bit and get top speeds of 65. Fitting an 11' slide in truck camper in the bed. Air assist steering. Multifuel engine opens up fuel availability (if you have to you can persuade shipyards or trainyards to sell you fuel oil, or heating oil for homes)

On the down side, they are loud as hell and uncomfortable. You can add a muffler or route the exhaust under the truck, which helps with noise. You can install comfy seats, but people over 6 foot (like me) have some trouble fitting in the cab. A hardtop and heater makes life comfortable, and I'm sure you could add a universal AC compressor and parts if you plan to be in hot climates. The tires are heavy, so have a good back if you need to change one.

You can put lockers on the front axle and one on the second (rear) axle. Definitely helps with mileage, tire wear, and steering.

They are 24 volt, so expect trouble with running things like radios and cell phone or GPS chargers.

All of this info I found on Steel Soldiers, by SEARCHING. Feel free to PM me if you wanna chat expeditionary deuces.

Oh, and for some kickass deuce camper pics, search members for Unclemikey and take a look at his Camper Apocalyptica

flighht2k5

Banned
This is exactly what I am considering my deuce for. Definitely keeping it 6x6. Less ground pressure, better off road performance. Large single tires. With larger tires you can expect a cruising speed of 60. Crank up the fuel a wee bit and get top speeds of 65. Fitting an 11' slide in truck camper in the bed. Air assist steering. Multifuel engine opens up fuel availability (if you have to you can persuade shipyards or trainyards to sell you fuel oil, or heating oil for homes)

On the down side, they are loud as hell and uncomfortable. You can add a muffler or route the exhaust under the truck, which helps with noise. You can install comfy seats, but people over 6 foot (like me) have some trouble fitting in the cab. A hardtop and heater makes life comfortable, and I'm sure you could add a universal AC compressor and parts if you plan to be in hot climates. The tires are heavy, so have a good back if you need to change one.

You can put lockers on the front axle and one on the second (rear) axle. Definitely helps with mileage, tire wear, and steering.

They are 24 volt, so expect trouble with running things like radios and cell phone or GPS chargers.

All of this info I found on Steel Soldiers, by SEARCHING. Feel free to PM me if you wanna chat expeditionary deuces.

Oh, and for some kickass deuce camper pics, search members for Unclemikey and take a look at his Camper Apocalyptica
How does a locker help with mileage?

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CONSIDER:

Comfort for 2 people and gear
Affordability
Parts Supplies throughout the Americas
Diesel efficiency
Ease of operation
Turning Radius
Enough but not too much truck
Border crossing considerations
Shipping considerations (Darien Gap)
Political issues (US foreign policy back lash)

My friend, you need a Toyota Land Cruiser, either a 60 or 70 series troopy.
Here's a forum devoted to Land Cruisers for you to educate yourself on: IH8MUD - Home

Rick

ohnuts

There is a SS member who made a crewcab of his truck and it looked geat. Multi fuel limits you to a deuce period. Do a five ton tires and steering with a deuce motor and burn anything plus parts are going to be in every armpit on earth. If your doing seventy what are you really going to discover? Make a stretch crew cab and give up some of the bed to make it work.

grounded

Banned
There is a SS member who made a crewcab of his truck and it looked geat. Multi fuel limits you to a deuce period. Do a five ton tires and steering with a deuce motor and burn anything plus parts are going to be in every armpit on earth. If your doing seventy what are you really going to discover? Make a stretch crew cab and give up some of the bed to make it work.

save the hassle if your going that route and get a 5 ton multi. The LDS is a multi in the 5 tons ohnuts.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of opinions here. Just what you asked for!

You asked about Clint and his trucks. I have bought wheels from him, he is a good guy to deal with, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of his trucks.... But. You live in Salem, there are a couple of guys here locally in Oregon who build bobbers. You can drive for 45 minutes and touch and feel them [the trucks].

I spend a lot of time in South and Central America. What you are proposing to do sounds fun, but it is a long, long trip. Is your wife going with you? The Deuce is a great rig for a trip like that, either four or six wheels, but it is LOUD.

Come on up to Tualatin and I will take you for a ride in mine. Even with a muffler, the gear whine from the tranny in 5th gear is deafening. I love that stupid truck, but two years of shouting to be heard?

Pros:
very rugged
easy to work on
fuel efficient
will burn just about any fuel

Cons:
LOUD
HOT
rough riding
can't easily lock the cab
LOUD

Those are just the short lists :grin:

You can get diesel or gas just about anywhere in South and Central America. You don't really need a fancy rig for an expedition. Just lots of money, cause you will run out!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks