• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 bobbed deuce transmission question.

Hotrodlincoln

I noticed my bobbed deuce starting to grind 4th when coming down from 5th. Going up from 3rd to 4th no problem. I've tried different speeds and shifting very very slow and still seems to grind . I drained the gear oil and went with a straight 30w which seemed to help but I only drove it about 10 minutes. I noticed some folks saying straight 50w was better so I drained it again and put Shell aero100 50w ND. Still grinds but only have 15minutes and only a handful of shifts.

My mechanic says that a lot of bobbed deuces grind 4th due to some change in the rolling weight of tires etc??? I'm running 46 inch tires.

If you can help that would be great!

Thanks

camoyj7

Sounds like forth gear syncros are bad. I never heard of a bobbed deuce causing gear grinding. A bad driver will cause trans syncros to go bad.

Hotrodlincoln

So the 30w or 50w oil probably won't make a difference? I know some on here say that cleared up the grinding. Just trying to avoid pulling the tranny out. Can you buy syncros?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you can buy a new 4th-5th synchro from any of the usual vendors.

You don't have to remove the whole transmission, to replace that synchro.

G.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Send a PM to user "lifefreeordietryintobe" I think he had some new ones in the classifieds at one point.

Hotrodlincoln

Ok guys -sounds like a syncro problem and probably should do 2/3 as well. This was a take out that I have only had in a few weeks. Would anyone know some good sources in central Florida for transmissions and someone who might be able to replace/fix this one.,

Thanks

Hotrodlincoln

Ok guys -sounds like a syncro problem and probably should do 2/3 as well. This was a take out that I have only had in a few weeks. Would anyone know some good sources in central Florida for transmissions and someone who might be able to replace/fix this one.,

Thanks

I can help you replace or fix it There's a guy in Fort Pierce Fl I believe his name is Bryce he should have transmissions let me know if I can help I just swapped out my broken engine I swapped my engine twice in less than a year first the was by choice with the help of gimpyrobb this time solo.If I can help let me know.

Hotrodlincoln

Thanks-do you have all the parts to fix? Just wondering what the best route might be-fix or replace with another take out. A little gun shy since the last takeout had bad shncros.

I don't have a tranny I do have the synchro and tools to help you I've had a lot of help from folks here so I don't mind helping you.You should post up pics to see if any of us can give you a better insight I may have Bryces number I have to find my old phone if you buy the parts needed I can help with it if its driveable you can bring it here.

Dipstick

My bobber likes to grind 4th a bit. I usually double clutch when upshifting from third to fourth only and I double clutch all downshifts. It makes my transmission shift really smooth. Just throwing it out there.

phil2968

I double clutch also. Helps prevent that grinding! Funny thing is when you get used to doing it you find yourself doing it all the time, even in trucks you don't need to do it in!