• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Booster Pump tightening

Dasgog

Hello

I was wondering and hoping I was not looking outside the box on this one. From my experience you can not take booster pump off (2 long bolts hitting steering column) unless you take IP put it tilt engine. Unable to tilt engine and really don’t wanna remove IP 3rd time in 2 months. So.
Aside from a 7/16 socket and or wrench (both standard) are there any other cool or weird tools where I can TIGHTEN the bottom of the 2 bolts? I’m having seepage, not dripping, from bottom. It has a new o ring and I changed the 4 screw bolts with hex screws and everything is tightened nicely so either the machines metal just isn’t sitting regardless of what I do or I may have to tighten that bottom bolt.

suggestions?

Sgt C

I have the same problem. Unfortunately I ended up pulling the IP. I found some scratches on the machined surface of the cover plate. I'm lapping it now.

Dasgog

I have the same problem. Unfortunately I ended up pulling the IP. I found some scratches on the machined surface of the cover plate. I'm lapping it now.
Yeah after 3rd attempt, various other reasons, I finally got it all out back together 0 leaks. Though several have recommended several products, the time and place where I was I had picked upPermatex 20539 Indian Head Gasket Shellac Compound

Sgt C

I ended up borrowing a 1200 mesh diamond lap from a friend. I definitely had some high spots. Took some work but was able to lap both surfaces to a smooth, even surface. I'll know if it worked by Saturday.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...... I definitely had some high spots. Took some work but was able to lap both surfaces to a smooth, even surface. I'll know if it worked by Saturday.
All good but next time don't be afraid of adding just a thin film of a "modern" (anaerobic) sealant like Loctite 515, or better 518, to either one of the two surfaces.
That alone is what is being used today on all engine components, in between machined surfaces, replacing the classic, shellac-based sealants - as well as paper gaskets, of the good-old days...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks