• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 brake upgrade using air brake chamber to push hydraulic master cylinder?

mitchsc0tt0

I have been in the process of trying to figure out what to do about safety on my deuce's single circuit brakes. I have 2 options right now and curious if anyone has done the 2nd.
1. Do the dual circuit M44A3 setup with 2 air booster packs and fabricate up some sort of mount for the dual circuit master cylinder as there are none available.
2. Found this while online doing research. See link below. But overall the concept would be to use a air brake chamber from a air brake truck to push the dual circuit hydraulic master cylinder and mount a treedle valve brake pedal. https://www.powerbrakeservice.net/aibrsyfordea.html

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It wouldn't have to push directly in a linear fashion, you can make a bellcrank and use anything that pushes or pulls .

I've had a lot of different ideas for Deuce brakes bounce around inside my cranium over the years, some similar to this .

But the first thing I would do is eliminate the weak points and that's the wheel cylinders, and I would accomplish that by converting the truck to disc brakes and then it can handle whatever you throw at it, because if you build a good system up front you're just going to push your wheel cylinders apart IMO .

In the first video, he talks about how a brake pod works and he is not correct on a brake pod with a maxie brake this has two chambers the one on the back has a big spring that when the system has no air that spring pushes to apply the brake if you have air going to the pod it pushes against the spring and holds it there the chamber on the front works by having air going to it only when the brake pedal is pushed when you take your foot off the pedal the air is dumped and a smaller spring in the same chamber pushes the rod back into the chamber along with the spring between the brake shoes to release the brake.

The M131 fuel trailer is type 30 single chamber bolts directly to the master cylinder one for each axle has worked well this trailer came this way the air valve that gives service air to this one valve when you push the pedal or pull the hand brake bar on the right of the steering wheel This valve I think is called an A6 also gets air sent to it when the supply or emergency hose is unhooked and will hold the brakes till the air presser leaks off. I drain the air tank when I'm done for the day, so this valve won't push on these master cylinders for days this trailer uses the same wheel cylinder and shoes as my M52A2

Jeepsinker

In the first video, he talks about how a brake pod works and he is not correct on a brake pod with a maxie brake this has two chambers the one on the back has a big spring that when the system has no air that spring pushes to apply the brake if you have air going to the pod it pushes against the spring and holds it there the chamber on the front works by having air going to it only when the brake pedal is pushed when you take your foot off the pedal the air is dumped and a smaller spring in the same chamber pushes the rod back into the chamber along with the spring between the brake shoes to release the brake.

The M131 fuel trailer is type 30 single chamber bolts directly to the master cylinder one for each axle has worked well this trailer came this way the air valve that gives service air to this one valve when you push the pedal or pull the hand brake bar on the right of the steering wheel This valve I think is called an A6 also gets air sent to it when the supply or emergency hose is unhooked and will hold the brakes till the air presser leaks off. I drain the air tank when I'm done for the day, so this valve won't push on these master cylinders for days this trailer uses the same wheel cylinder and shoes as my M52A2
Yeah, that's me in the videos. There's a bolt on maxi type brake chamber that takes the place of the sngle pot pods. If I remember correctly that's why I made the second video, because after the first one a friend sent me a link to them.