• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 brakes soft on initial startup

plym49

Hi, 1970 Kaiser-Willys Deuce. All stock.

On first startup, with air pressure built up and engine idling for five minutes as it should, the brake pedal will about go down to the floor with no brakes. They then pump up and work about as well as any Deuce I remember.

There are no fluid leaks. There are no air leaks. There is no moisture in the air tank. I do not think there is air in the lines. Compressor properly tightened. Ebrake is released. If you've been driving a while and shut it down, the brakes are fine. It's only when it has been sitting - say a day or more.

The only other brake issue is occasional sticky pads, also after sitting. I don't think the two items are related.

What should I be looking for? Air booster/master? Bleed system and go from there?

TIA.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi, 1970 Kaiser-Willys Deuce. All stock.

On first startup, with air pressure built up and engine idling for five minutes as it should, the brake pedal will about go down to the floor with no brakes. They then pump up and work about as well as any Deuce I remember.

There are no fluid leaks. There are no air leaks. There is no moisture in the air tank. I do not think there is air in the lines. Compressor properly tightened. Ebrake is released. If you've been driving a while and shut it down, the brakes are fine. It's only when it has been sitting - say a day or more.

The only other brake issue is occasional sticky pads, also after sitting. I don't think the two items are related.

What should I be looking for? Air booster/master? Bleed system and go from there?

TIA.
Is it possible that the shoes need to be adjusted to the drums? There are 4 adjusters on each wheel. There is a hole that you slip a feeler gauge in to and if I remember .015 is a workable number. The bottom two are cams - and you can go the wrong way. The TM's (Technical Manuals) will help with "doing the job right".

AND, if you want the quickie version of how to adjust the brakes there is a short version attached below.
Thanks to TommyG45 way back in 2008

Also take a look at the adjusters in this post.
It shows the 1 1/8th inch nut (wrench size) on the bottom cams that I mentioned earlier

Attachments

Last edited:

plym49

Brake shoe return springs rusty & weak? Linings worn down, allowing for excessive shoe travel? Brake hoses old, with possible restriction or swollen, so that fluid will only return very slowly?
Good points to check for sticky brakes. But they only stick on a 'cold' start, and that is also when the pedal goes almost all the way to the floor. After that everything is OK. Agree that it's a good idea to adjust the brakes but why do they pump up?

GopherHill

I second the above advice. Look at the -10 manual and perform a major brake adjustment. Check the brake flexible hoses carefully. If cracked or dry rotted , replace them.

plym49

I second the above advice. Look at the -10 manual and perform a major brake adjustment. Check the brake flexible hoses carefully. If cracked or dry rotted , replace them.
Understood. However I am not understanding how that would make the brake pedal go to the floor on the first stop, and not afterwards. Because if the brakes are not adjusted then aren't they so all the time? Apologies if I am missing something.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would add "air in the lines" to the list. Probably the second thing I would do after verifying brake adjustment is to simply re-bleed the brakes (including air pack!) and then re-assess. It is a long truck with loooong brake lines and air bubbles can hide away for a long time.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Understood. However I am not understanding how that would make the brake pedal go to the floor on the first stop, and not afterwards. Because if the brakes are not adjusted then aren't they so all the time? Apologies if I am missing something.
I am kinda of the opinion that "all of the above" could have a lot to do with the peddle "pumping up" with time. Air bubbles could get chased further down the line, the shoe springs could be getting weak over the years (slow shoe return), a little rust on the pivot cams down on the bottom of the drums would cause a slower than normal return on the shoe movement too. A bunch of little things that might total up to the brake peddle going almost to the floor on the first press.

All of us are guessing, but if you wanted to start with adjusting the front axle shoes first you will know something. AND you only have to remove 2 tires rather than 8. When you check those first two - If the shoes measure out at .015 in all four positions - we need to talk some more before you do the other 4 drums (two axles).

Badly worn drums with a lip might be difficult to measure too.
You almost need to pull at least one drum to see what is going on inside the drum...

plym49

Thank you for the replies so far. Really good advice. I will need for the weather to break a bit until I can get into it. Will keep the thread updated with what I find. :)(y)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks