• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 bumper extension brackets

CanonNinja

Search has failed me yet again :sad:

Specifically I have a set of winch mounts and extension brackets off an A2 truck. I was thinking about pushing the bumper on my A3 out to mount a tray for a toolbox and whatnot, but the holes look completely different. Will these work with the A3, or am I SOL?

Darwin T

i think the frame is the same. the a2's were upgraded to a3's. engine, hods ect. but i think they reused the frames. now they may have added something in the revap that is in the way because the a3's use a hydrolic winch setup.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A quick check of the -20P TM(for both trucks) should answer your question lickity split..

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And the TMs say, they are not the same.

Darwin T

if you are not putting in a winch all you may need is the bottom frame extension that fit into the frame rails and not the top part. you would have to add support for the bumper in your design however. i will try to get a picture tonight of the underside of the frame rails with an extension.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are they different by part number or NSN?

The pictures are different and the part numbers are different. I did not pay attention to the NSN.

treeguy

If you're just going to push the bumper forward and make room for storage, how hard would it be to find material/channel the right size and radiused corners? Then you could drill your own holes into the new extentions to make it all work. If you go this route, the bumper will remain at the same height and will decrease your approach angle (if this matters to you). This may also be a factor if you have a tool box there that hangs down below the frame. From what I understand, this is the reason that the A2 frame extentions lift the bumper up.

steven stuchell

I checked with Eastern Surplus Erics Military and Boyce Equipment and they all said the a2 frame extenders will fit into the a3 its just a different winch set up my whole purpose of this is I'm going to mount a 24 volt Warn electric winch but I need the extenders to move the bumper out enough to fabricate the winch in

sandcobra164

The A2 frame extenders should be fine for your intention. I have a friend who installed a pair on his without winch A2 truck with no issues. He had the same idea but has not gone through with adding a winch yet. I'm quite confident that they'll be a bolt on to your A3 truck as the A3's were built on A2 frames.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... I'm quite confident that they'll be a bolt on to your A3 truck as the A3's were built on A2 frames.
:ditto: But using those, the bumper will move 13-1/2" forward and also 4-3/4" up, which I don't think is very convenient in this case.

Member Steve6x6x6 has added a 18K Warn to the front of his A3-bobber. Not sure what exactly he used as extensions, but it wasn't the A2's because the bumper remained at the same height, only moved forward, like a foot or so.

PM him, maybe he wants to share a few details of his (very clean!) installation.

G.

sandcobra164

Gerhard,
I'm curious as always. Why would the bumper move 4-3/4" up? My friends bumper seems to be at the same height as before the frame extensions. He still has the same tires as well. Is the difference between the 9.00 NDT's versus the 14.5's that came on an A3? I'm only asking because I know I'll be smarter once you answer. Your graphing skills amaze me.

Respectfully,
Joseph

deuceman51

Because of the approach angle when the trucks climb a hill. If the bumper is extended straight out without moving it up, it will hit the incline sooner and lower your effective approach angle. Honestly not a huge problem for 99% of deuce owners, but it was something the designers thought of. A little odd they didn't do the same on the 5 tons.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would the bumper move 4-3/4" up? My friends bumper seems to be at the same height as before the frame extensions.......

Well, yes and no...

YES, because the extensions are really intended to be used in conjunction with the winch mounting brackets, as a whole assembly. Both parts combined recreate the necessary and rigid bumper mounting spots, only forward and up.

NO, because one could of course modify the original extensions, leave out the winch mounting brackets and mount the bumper with its upper flange (and reinforcement plates) sitting directly on top of the frame extension piece. But then the lower flange would hang free floating with no support at all.

Fabricating everything to solve that problem would be more work and cost (IMHO) than simply extend the frame by adding the required length of original 8" frame, held together with a suitable U-channel piece, bolted to the inside of frame.

G.

Attachments

Last edited: