• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 dilemma

peter34668

Last month I purchased 3 military trucks from an construction equipment dealer. He was sitting on them for a long time so I made him an offer and he took it. What I purchased was a 1965 M123, 1970 M52a2 and a 1968 M35a2. The M123 was converted to a forestry truck with a massive push bar and roll cage as well as a tank sitting in what I believe is a M35 cargo bed. I removed the tank, painted green and its now the biggest vehicle in my collection.

The M52a2 arrived not running and w/o brakes so yesterday I thought I would fire it up. Sure enough after sitting for 7 years it started right up with only a jump.

Now that brings me to the point of the story. The M35 had been sitting with him in a back lot since 2003. It looked sad and i thought I would buy it for a parts rig and to take out the winch and put it on my own M35. Before I started hacking it up I figured I should at least see if it runs. I went and removed all the mice nest, checked the fluids and sure enough it fired up with only a jump. The problem is I really could use it as a parts rig but it seems like such a shame to dismantle a good running old military truck. I know these are not rare and there are a few things beyond the winch i could use off it but it wrong to take it apart. So the question is what would you do? Its not rusty at all however it does look like its spent some time playing in the woods.

I have attached 2 pics. One si the machine I'm talking about here the other is the M25a2 that is already in my clooection.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I bought 7 trucks before I got a "parts" truck.

peter34668

I would say it depends on how much you need the parts vs weather or not you want another runner in your collection, or if you can flip it and make some of your money back.
Where in NH are you?
I am about 20 miles north of Keene.
I don't need another runner so similar to what i already have and it would take more money than its worth to bring it up to a level of something I could be proud of. Perhaps I could swap out what I want from it then put an AG plate on it and use it as a woods machine.

peter34668

I spent a few hours with the pressure washer today. The truck cleaned up nicely but I am still unsure if it would be worth the money to bring it back to nice. here are some pictures...20140914_172207.jpg20140914_172211.jpg20140914_172221.jpg20140914_172223.jpg20140914_172234.jpg20140914_172242.jpg20140914_172249.jpg20140914_172301.jpg20140914_172309.jpg20140914_172358.jpg20140914_172314.jpg20140914_172323.jpg20140914_172340.jpg20140914_172216.jpg

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off - it is your truck, you paid for it, you can do whatever you like. But, since you asked...

This is too nice a truck for parts. Congrats to the score!
I agree with the poster that said to take the winch and PTO if you need them and then sell the truck as-is to make some money back. You need to spend some $$$ on the M123!
If you do not need the winch, sell the truck as a w/w and you can ask even more for it. No harm in bleeding the brakes and checking fluids; you may be able to sell it as a runner with little effort.

wb9btz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The owner of a vehicle always has the privilege of doing with that vehicle whatever he or she sees fit to do.

That being said, I can hear it saying "Number 8 (sic) is alive! ... No disassemble!"

I wouldn't have the heart to part it out... I'd sell it (if I didn't want it) and use the money to get whatever parts I wanted/needed for the truck I plan on keeping.

Nevertheless... it's your truck... do as you see fit... Just my 2cents ...and then only because you asked :grin:

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have parts truck money invested in it, might be worth considering a sale. Winch is an easy removal and I'm sure there are plenty of folks that dream of finding that diamond in the rough that they can afford up front and tidy it up as they go. But, as others have eluded to, it's your truck and solely your choice.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

As stated above, it's your dog and you can whip it if you want to.

If nothing else it's a good base for a radical custom. A bobber, a deuce rat rod or anything that comes into your mind.

I'd use it as a parts truck as a last resort. I've parted out a lot of trucks and it takes a long time to get rid of some of the stuff.

FloridaAKM

I'm in agreement with the guys who say not to part it out, do the PM's on the fluids & filters, plus anything else & sell her to another new SS member or someone who has no truck as a running truck. If there were thousands of these trucks left on the bases, it might be a different story, but there are few left & they are true parts trucks! It's your truck, you get to make the final decision!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a good running winch truck that needs more paint than that one and I'm asking $6k for it. Might not get it but they aren't making any more of them, rare or not.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Seriously?! I was looking at it and thought, "That looks like a bell."
Many years ago I would take our commercial trucks to a Freightliner dealership in Jackson, MS, to have them worked on. They had a huge boneyard in the back and I'd spend a lot of time rummaging through the dead dinosaurs.
Back when trucks were just getting air brakes the low air warning consisted of a little red flag up in the cab that would drop down and ring a bell to let you know you were low on air.:shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks