• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Door hinge Screws

502NDMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know what screws needed for these hinges? Appear to be a large a type a flat head machine screw which sits flat inside the hinge itself.

AceHigh

I can't remember the size but I just bought some off the shelf bolts and nuts. Had to drill the hinge out a little bit but that works great. So far I have done it on 3 trucks with no problems.

rustystud

There 1/4" standard thread. I replaced all of mine with stainless ones. They also use "tapered" star washers.
Now that I'm thinking about it the machine screws could also be a #12. It has been a few years since I replaced them.
Just take one in for a sample. :-D

WingCO

There are three types for these hinges. If one has West Coast mirrors, the actual hinge pin is a long, smooth-shank pin with 1/4 28 machine bolt threads about 1/2" long at the end that replaces the 'pin'. There are four pan head Phillips Cross screws that attach the hinge to the body and four counter-sunk Phillips Cross that attach the hinge to the door. I'm sure there was some reason, regardless of how appropriate it seemed at the time of design. Anyway, I'm looking for both types of attachment screws. I believe they are 1/4 20's. Help!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can tell you that for the attachment screws, stainless hex bolts work just fine. There is sufficient clearance even without the heads being countersunk. I learned that when I had to mangle my original screws (what a stupid design choice) during door removal.

I am in the process of replacing my door hinges , I also decided to go with stainless , I had to use a screw extractor on several .....its worth spending a few extra bucks for the stainless in my opinion , and what I thought was a simple fix when one hinge broke has become a big job not only the screws were a pain but the hinge pin is frozen and I now have to buy new hinges because I don't want to drill them out ...I tried heating them and beating on them for about an hour and they have not moved at all ....and now after seeing the price of new ones plus shipping cost im considering buying that drill press that I've been wanting for years ......

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine were so rusted I had to drill them out and go oversized. The west coast mirror hinge bolt and threaded in 1/4" but the shaft is larger. I also added a zerk in the middle of each hinge. Also, on the door side the threads came out with the screws so had to go oversized there also. Went with SS oval heads with anti-seize. Adjust was PITA. Still tweaking it a little.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am still not happy with my adjust. The hinges slide sideways (towards driver and passenger side) but not forward and backwards. I used washers as shims to get the rear bottom door edge up. Maybe it is BFH adjusted?

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am still not happy with my adjust. The hinges slide sideways (towards driver and passenger side) but not forward and backwards. I used washers as shims to get the rear bottom door edge up. Maybe it is BFH adjusted?
When I pulled my LH door I noticed the top hinge was bent...so I straightened it. Big mistake. Apparently some damage occurred to the LH side or door and I had to bend it back to get the door to close. That hinge on the cab side is also rusted frozen and won't adjust. All other attach points are fine so I am still jacking with the LH trying to get the gaps even, flush etc. R&R doors are a pain so I'll live with it for now.

I had to break down and buy that drill press and im very happy that I did ...after drilling the pins out of the hinges and buying all SS screws and then back to the local hardware store to get hardened bolts and loctite I reinstalled the door three times before I got it right ...what a pain , I mean these doors must weigh 100 lbs each . now the door closes better than it ever has and that is worth all the time and trouble it gave me and the feeling of completion is awesome ....if you have door issues done give up until you get r done right

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks