• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Dot 3 Brake Fluid?

dropaduece

Dear Fellow Members,

I have completely overhauled the brake system on my m35a2. New pads, wheel cylinders, rebuilt booster, new master cylinder, new brake lines, etc.

The system is completely dry and the time to fill with brake fluid is here.

Dot 5 is expensive as hell and when on the road can be hard to find.

Can I go ahead and run DOT 3 and keep it that way from here on out.

The only reason I could not run dot 3 would be if there was existing dot 5 in the system right?

Any information would greatly be appreciated.

Seth

poppop

Your system is clean so you will have no problem with DOT 3. The Government uses DOT 5 because it does not mix with water. A lot of these trucks sit for long periods of time without being moved and water in the system will corrode componants and cause failure. If you use the truck on a fairly regular basis it will be no different than your car or pickup truck. I have two Dueces that sat for a long time before I bought them and the brake systems have to be rebuilt, so i plan to use DOT 3 in them when done.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We stay with the silicone fluid even though it is more expensive. We love it because it preserves systems where normal brake fluid collects moisture and junks the whole system with idle time or just normal intermittent usage. We feel silicone saves money in the long run, especially if you consider your labor time worth much.
Regards Marti

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Curious where you bought your shoes and what you paid. Looking for a complete set of 12 now and finding very high prices.

Thanks

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clinto, I got a full set from kcgonzo a few years ago at a very good price.....
He quoted me a very good price as well and when I tried to contact him again to ask how much shipping was and where to send payment, he stopped replying! I have left voicemails and emails, no contact. Don't know what to say, I want to send the guy some money!

dropaduece

I actually found my brake pads on ebay. There is a seller that is on there all the time, his prices were the best. Just do a search for m35 brake. Dont add the a2, it will limit the search result.

I live by TNJ Murray. Their prices are fare, yet their service is unbeatable. They have never let me down and I have been in some major pinches for parts. The parts are usually on my door step next day, if not the day after.

Thanks guys on all the advice regarding brake fluid. I am still torn to use dot 3 or dot 5. Dot 5 is just so damn expensive. AHHHHHH!

Seth

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use DOT 3. DOT 5 dosen't abosrb water, so any water in the system goes to the lowest point, the wheel clyinders, and can cause rust there. Seen it on deuces before...

bottleworks

I use DOT 3. DOT 5 dosen't abosrb water, so any water in the system goes to the lowest point, the wheel clyinders, and can cause rust there. Seen it on deuces before...
Exactly. And then when your brakes warm up, that water boils and you loose your brakes completely. They designed DOT 3 to absorb water to help prevent these dangerous situations. DOT 3/4 is the way to go.

tm america

stick with dot 5 theres a very good reason the gov uses it it keeps things from rusting even when it sits along time you just spent all that time and money redoing the brakes now you want to save a couple buck on something that is as important as the fluid .do you want to be doing brakes in a year or ten your choice . how much will you save using dot 3 ?now how much is it to replace a rust pitted wheel cylinder or master cylinder or even worse a air pack

tm america

oh ya and dot 5 has a much higher boiling point than dot 3 if you get water in either one you have a problem but dot 3 acts like a wick to water it actually draws it into the system rather than displacing it like dot five does just look at the difference in how a 30 year old brake system looks with dot 3 verses dot 5 when was the last time you seen a rusted out brake line on a duece now how about on a civy truck or car:?:

Jake0147

I have a theory about these brakes and choosing fluid. (Just a theory for now...)
The vent is open, so I can use DOT 5 like what's in it, condensation will be slower, but will fall immediately to the bottom, and rot the low spots, primarily the bottom of the wheel cylinders. The instant water is in the wheel cylinders, it's boiling point is 212 degrees. Being as that is designed to bleed lighter fluid (air) from the top, it would seem difficult at best to remove the water short of regular disassembly.
Or I can use DOT 3/4, water will get in, be absorbed up to the fluid's capacity with only a slight reduction in the boiling point, so it has a "margin" before the boiling point of the system becomes 212 degrees. And because it mixes with the water, it seems that water removal via regular (annual, bi-annual...) fluid changing would become much more effective at removing the water.

At least that's how it would seem to me... I'll probably have to buy several more deuces and neglect them for years before I'll become an expert.

tm america

in theory it sounds good but that is not how it works .dot 3 fluid is meant to be used in a sealed system it acts as a wick to water all water condensation especially it pulls the water out of the air like a moth to a flame . and any water that gets into either fluid will settle to the bottom after it sits for awhile . and as soon as you press the brakes it mixes with either fluid but dot 5 doesnt attract condensation like dot 3 does .they both will have a problem if you get water in the system by leaving the vent open and going through deep water but dot 3 will give you a problem even if you never drive through water .just let it sit it will take the water out of the air .

tm america

oh and for the wheel cylinders that were rusted they probably got water in from ripped or torn boots so the water game in from the bottom not the top

StreetbikeDepot

No matter how much discussion some people will continue to use DOT 5 and waste their money. Lets talk FACTS here

FACT: DOT 5 repels water
As a side affect of this water will pool in low laying areas

FACT: DOT 5 airates easily
DOT 5 should set for at least an hour to allow to settle if its been agitated, care taken when its poored, and its easy to get re-agetated when bleeding a dry system.

FACT: DOT 5 has a higher boiling point than DOT 4

If boiling point is so important to the DOT 5 guys they should knows or be informed that DOT 5.1 is a glycol like DOT 3/4 and it has the highest boiling point of them all.

FACT: ALL brake systems are vented BUT most are isolated with a expandable rubber seal.

Moisture is present in ALL brake systems wether its by a unsealed cap or from condensation within the system, so that arguement is null. So what it boils down too, the question is.......Do you want your fluid to absorbe the moisture evenly or do you want your fluid to repel the moisture and cause it to pool up in low laying areas? Ever wonder why MV's are so prone to wheel cylinders leaking? Its the rust from the pooled moisture in your brake cylinders.

Now....I'm not saying that DOT 3/4 is the fix-all I'm just saying that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that moisture obsorption throughout the brake system with minimal boiling point change is better than water pooling up in all the low areas in your brake system.

So why did the military choose to use it.....who knows, but I believe they did so because DOT 5 has a better shelf life once its open and that the boiling point WAS the highest at the time. Just my 2cents

Last edited:

hoopsoft

That Streetbike Depot guy is an amsoil dealer too, he gets a bit up tight about brake stuff.

I guess something to do with going round and round on a race track, and needing perfect 1 finger stopping power everytime. who knows.. maybe not enough bran in his diet. LOL

Last edited:

EulaVFD#620

yeah that streetbike depot guy is an amsoil dealer too, he gets a bid up tight about brake stuff.

I guess something to do with going round and round on a race track, and needing perfect 1 finger stopping power everytime. who knows.. maybe not enough bran in his diet. LOL

LOL I ain't quite that gung ho about it, I was just offering the info, I use the stuff on my vehicles, but i aint a race car driver.

620 out