• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 -> Dual Tanks...where to put the spare?

rmgill

So, I picked up a set of tank hangers from Joel (BFR, Thanks Joel!) this weekend and now have the major components I need for a second fuel tank. I need to figure out where to put the spare. In the bed would be one place but I'm not a big guy 150 lbs and hefting that up there in the dark by myself isn't going to be easy. And after measuring last night, I'm not going to be able to usefully hang the spare under the rear end of the truck. I need to clear the rear facing spinner and leave clearance for movement and in doing so, the tire sticks out a good 15" past the hitch. Which means if I'm towing any kind of trailer, I'm going to end up with interference there.

My eventual plans are for a dump bed and the ability to carry a shelter so a permanent mount in the bed is right out. Perhaps a mount between the bed and cab after the dump bed setup? Not unlike how the dump trucks and semi tractors carry a spare?

I'm also working on an upgrade to super singles so that means an even heavier tire in 1100x20. Anyone have any other ideas?

rmgill

Oh, there's another issue, the second tank I have is a right handed model, if I mount it with the spout facing out, it'll be to the rear and under the bed. I'd rather NOT have to raise the dump bed partly to fill it. Should I try to trade someone a tank or move the filler or build an extension funnel filler neck?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tough one Ryan. I just can't think of anywhere to put it but in the bed. Maybe a mount on the front of the bed holding it upright so that when your dump is installed it stays put. Maybe create a small davit to lift and lower ot from the bed. There's just noplace left. As far as the tank, you won't find a left tank for a deuce. The 50 gal 5 ton tanks are much wider and different. You could mount the tank with the neck fwd it would just be way in from the outside of the truck. Other than that you are stuck moving the neck of the tank.

rmgill

Yeah, thats' what I figured. I'll have to cut out the neck, patch that location, cut a hole and weld/braze the patch and the neck into the new position. Since I'm thinking of running Biodiesel here just like Bjorn, I'll have to add a heating coil too.

Additional concerns...
How to control fuel flow? I figure a double pole double throw switch will work for switching which fuel pump pumps and then checkvalves on each line to keep from pushing fuel back down. I'd like it setup with a solenoid to control which tank gets the return flow too on the same setup. Simple is ideal in my mind. That way I can't forget to switch the second tank and end up overflowing one going down the road.

Dual Gauges or a selector switch to show one or the other gauge? Dual Gauges would look nice, I'd just have to move the High Beam indicator. One you guys did two gauges next to each other which has a very nice look, (looks very stock, I had to compare a stock panel with the modified one to figure out what was changed).

I've put a request into wheeled vehicle mechanic friend of mine to ask her senior NCO's and WO types to see if there's a useful part that might make this more efficient.

Scrounger

I don't have any ideas of tank placement. For fuel contol you could run the lines thru a fuel valve like the ones in an 818, it is placed on the floor by the parking brake lever. That would solve the problem of supply and return. And a switch on the dash L-R fuel for the gauge, also from a tractor.

rmgill

that would be the most simple. Do you run both fuel pumps? Oh, wait the M818 doesn't have an intank fuel pump. Hmm, separate switch for controlling which fuel pump to run.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
that could be done with the gage switch, dpdt , with no center postion, i beleave the military gage switch is a dpdt, with one side not used

rmgill

I'd rather have a selector that was electrical both ways around, a switch on the dash between the two tanks dials. I'd prefer the switch to control the fuel pump for that side and switch a valve for the fuel return. I could probably run a vent line across from one tank to the other to cross level just in case there's an overflow of one tank.

rmgill

That's the plan. But the standard Deuce 55 gallon tank has the filler at the Forward right side. If you put that tank on the left side, it'll have to flip around and that puts the filler at the rear left side of the tank, under the bed. The plan is to put the tank there, the question is the details. The devil is in the details, as it were.

westfolk

If you could get a tank from an M135, etc.(GMC Hydramatics) the tank would set behind the cab with the fill spout in the right position just like the passenger side. The way I did fuel transfer on trucks I added a second tank to was...Using the air system I regulated its pressure to ten p.s.i., had duel gauges, everything ran from the original tank and when needed I open a valve in cab and pushed fuel over to the other one. I've done this to three different trucks over the years and it always worked fine for me.

rmgill

Ahh, but I'm looking to run Biodiesel (possibly) in the second tank so pushing to the #1 tank will be a problem.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Oh ok I was wondering about that filler location stuff. I guess I need to get my beast home to get a feel how everything fits up. rmgill I am actually thinking of doing the same thing with biodiesel or just veggie oil. If that falls thru then I can at least know I have double the range. I don't think it would be that hard to relocate the filler. I think it can be done without too much hard work. Just careful cutting.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In quest to find a place to mount a small diesel genset, I have considered mounting the spare to the front bumper, like maybe spareh have been mounted to the fronts of everything from a VW bus to a land cruiser.. It's very heavy, not sure how it would be gotten on and off. well getting it off is easy. but lifing it up!

rmgill

I also have a front hitch there too for spotting trailers into tight spots with little headache. Bjorn is an inspiration. The Front hitch has been the most useful thing i've added over and above the 12 volt system/electric brake controller. Oh the muffler too.

The plan is to make biodiesel.

I think I may end up sliding the bed back anyhow to make some extra clearance room for storage and the spare tire will eventually be stowed between the cab and the bed on a fold out arm. A hand cranked arm to raise and lower the tire would be handy. Plus, I'd have space for more tools in another tool box.

Mark3395

Insteead of moving the current filler cap, would it not be easier to install a second cap to the (new) front edge of the added tank? Then ignore the older cap.

And while switching tanks with the flip of a switch and/or valve is a neat idea a simpler plan would be just to transfer fuel to the passengar side tank from time to time... just use the driver's side tank for refueling. Wouldn't allow you to swetch between fuels but it's an easy approach you could use while you figured the more complex switching out.

You could take a look at the M816 wrecker to see how they handled two tanks there.