• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Dumb Battery Questions - also Solargizer thread

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run the red top optima's. I installed them in 1999. They still work every time. I just replaced the cables a couple of months ago along with a NATO slave. The only other time iv'e even looked at them was to put them in a dead truck to get it started. 744's right. They may cost more but in the long run they pay for them selves. How many years will a 6TL last? Iv'e had them under water for hours many times with out a problem.

Low-Tech-Redneck

Recovry4x4 said:
Well, lots of opinions will be coming on this one. Fisrt it has a common top post type battery and the military used 6TL or 6TN and there was another one. All the same size. They area hearty batteries with heavy plates. Usually can be desulfated better than car batteries. I have 2 stacks of 6TLs waiting for me to buy the stuff to desulfate them and try to revivie them. With that said, I use the $29.00 specials in my junk. They last 3 or 4 years then can be thrown away and new ones installed. I get away with it because my trucks never sit more than a week and rarely go more than 2 or 3 days without running.
While on the subject of desulfating, apparently, some new battery chargers have a "desulfate" setting on them, the 2 6TLs in our deuce sulfated, and we were able to revive them by just putting the charger on the "desulfate" mode, and leaving it on, 24 hours per battery, they came right back to life. From your description R4x4, it sounds like you've been using a different method since you mentioned "buying the stuff" It's somthing to look into if you've got a stack of sulfated batts. You don't even have to take them apart.

M35A2

I have a Lucas Battery in my Defender. I bought it new and cost me about £70. That was about 3 1/2 years ago. For the last 2 years, I only fire her up maybe once a month and drive her to work and back (about 50 miles). The battery is still as strong as an ox. I have added some tablets into the battery cells called Battaid. They stop the battery plates oxidising. Add them every 6 months to keep the batterys in an as new condition.

Rattlehead said:
Someone on this list recommended a Chargetek brand 3-stage charger
That would be Bjorn. He swears by it.
I have purchased a 24 volt Solargizer that is supposed to prevent sulfation. Bjorn has talked about this item as well and that is what led me to getting one. I checked the NAPA store and they had it for $170.00 got it off ebay for $35.00 in the box. Actually bought another one for $28.00 so now I have 2.
I plan on taking some of my magnetic sheet sign material and painting it OD Green and then siliconing the Solargizer to it. Then placing it on top of the hardtop while the truck is sitting. I can remove it when driving and stick it to the inside cab behind the seat.
Of course, and as always, pictures will follow.

Some great tips by all.
I thank you and any more welcome.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen a picture of someone who took a solargizer charger plate and covered it top and bottom with what appeared to be 1/4 or 1/8 plexi. Cut it a bit larger than the charger plate, sealed the sides with what looked like clear silicon sealant. Just had the two wires that went down into the hood area. They mounted it between the front windows away from the frames so it did not interefere with their operation. They drilled holes in the plexi outside the perimeter of the plate and then used rubber gromments so the plate had no contact with the truck. Actually looked pretty slick.

houdel

My Deuce, which I picked up from the DRMO last month, came with a solargizer installed. The solar panel is glued to the cowl just in front of the windshield. I don't know if it works, nor do I know how to check if it is working. Anyone know how to tell if a Solargizer is working properly?

BTW, it pays to shop around when buying batteries. The local NAPA store, wants $156.99, the first Interstate dealer said $100, I'll call a few more Interstate dealers to see how much variation I come across in pricing.

Interestingly, I asked for a price at the local TSC (Tractor Supply Company) outlet. They carry Exide batteries but sales of the 6TL is RESTRICTED to Government Employes and Agencies only!

devilman96

Yeah... I don't know what gov wanker thought these were a good idea but its just 4 more holes that I gotta weld up and level out.

You can test these by disconnecting the wires at the batteries and putting a volt meter on them. In GOOD sun light you should get 22-28V.

If your gonna use solar chargers just use two of the 19.99$ 12V panels, one to each battery, toss them inside the truck up on the windshield. Just be sure to disconnect them before starting the truck... But for god sakes.... don't drill holes and mount them on the poor truck!!! Solar panels, especially CHEAP ones don't have a very long life to them and its even shorter when you put them outside.

Attachments

greg2560

I got the wal-mart maxx in the deuce i have...Fuzz put them in before i bought it holding strong..There is mabe 3 wet cell battery makers in the us... A battery is a battery in a wet cell..If you are eating Batteries you need to check you charging system... just my my 2 cents can let it sit for weeks noproblem

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks