• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Fab. Shop?

290smallcam

So I'm really looking into buying a M35. Seems I need something smaller and more road friendly than my 5 ton. I've been on YouTube and googling all I can. I have no welding or fab. exp....So for you M35 owners, any of you do your engine swap or know someone close to me who has done a engine swap in a M35A2? $150 a hour for a shop to learn how to do it is crazy, Not going to charge me for their learning/mistakes until its done!! I'm a CAT guy, would like a CAT 3126B, but seems everyone is doing a Cummins 6BT swap so 6BT it is...I really don't want to mate it to the Spicer or the junk Allison 545 automatic. A fuller or Eaton 10 speed would be better. I can get all the stuff, just need a shop or a owner who has a shop who would take on the project. Any takers or leads. Why sell my M813???? No air lockers, fuel cost, loud, plates, insurance, etc. My 5 ton is really my daily driver, so......

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
interesting stuff here
Why swap engines
Take care of the multi-fuel

290smallcam

145HP!! No way. Cant find parts for multifuel to rebuild .Now mybe if I could get 250HP out of the LDT that would be ok. I have manual for LDS-465 @180HP. Thought if a intake was fabed up, and bypassed the watercooled manifold, add a air aftercooler the LDT would be in the 230-250HP range? $1,200 for a fuel pump too, I could buy any used diesel engine form a junk yard for that price!

290smallcam

The Cat 3126B isn't a bad motor! Have to keep oil super clean, or a second oil filter to HEUI pump inlet so crap doesn't clog injectors. Cat 3126B are super cheap! 250-330HP ranges too.

HN6

My advice is to listen to the guys who have 1000 or more posts on here and have done/tried/researched all of our newbie ideas. Oh yes, everything is expensive. Keep us posted on what you do. We would all enjoy the info.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I find 5 tons road friendly with there real power steering. But a motor swap to a Cat or Cummins that had an easy power steering mount then install box and the little Deuce would be even more friendly. As a side not 5 ton rules in my .02!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ANY repower is an "experiment". I did that the last 15 years of my professional life, took old stuff out, put new stuff in. To the operator, it looked and acted the same, but from a mechanical point, TOTALLY different. MOST of the repowers I did were upward of 400 hours. ON road stuff took more time and thinking from a maintenance stand point. This was for things that had old school, mechanical stuff to drive by wire, tier 4 interm and tier 4 for off hwy and 2010 emissions setups or greater on road. If you are truly a "CAT" guy and have done ANY ,"re-inventing of the wheel stuff", you can see that any "estimate" someone would give you is going to be high just because of the unknowns.

You said you have no fab experience. Got any idea what it takes to make mounts, calculate drive angles, trim/re-enforce frames, engineer a cooling system into a space designed for a package with less heat rejection?

I am not bagging on you, but unless YOU can do something that YOU think is a straight forward, slam dunk job, don't go baggin' on peoples work is a "learning experience".

Again, not putting you down, making fun of you, doubting your expertise, just saying, that if you cant do or have any idea what it takes to do what you want,, don't say it is their learning experience or experiment

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

290smallcam

I wasn't dogging anyone. I was just saying id rather do business with a steel solders member if they had a shop and have done any M35 swaps. that way I could save a few bucks as they already know what to do. Sorry if anyone miss read what I posted. I meant no harm.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't get too hasty. Come to Rochester and we can talk trucks. I've had 809 series and have an m35A3 under construction with a 3116.

Keeping the 5 ton is double the weight of a deuce and if you are willing to drop an axle, a deuce can come close to 10k#. With 395s, it's still a massive truck. Your 813 on 16.00 would be cool too, but really should have air brakes...S cams and some HP. I grew up south of Peru and know some peeps that build pulling tractor and trucks. Starting with an M35A3 would get brakes for the build and you could sell the 3116 if you want something with more hp.

Last edited:

V8srfun

If you want a smaller truck have you considered bobbing your 5 ton. I think that may check more of your boxes than you realize.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks