• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Fan Shroud Separating From Radiator

18operator

Hi all,
While driving my Deuce around today, I noticed a strange metal to metal sound coming from the engine compartment.
I found both top and bottom of the sheet metal fan shroud separating from the radiator. The bottom of which was rubbing on the crankshaft and alternator pulleys.
Now I realize I have to pull the radiator to repair the shroud, that's the easy part. The hard part is how to reattach the shroud back to the radiator.
Has anyone else had this problem before, and how did you fix it?
029.jpg030.jpg031.jpg032.jpg031.jpg

Kaiser67M715

braze or solder as said- make sure it is really clean between the surfaces, and use some 120 grit to rough it up a little for a better hold.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Solder it, don't try to mix solder with brazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianp454

Clean very good and solder. If it is nice and clean the solder will flow into the joint and be stronger than it was before. I've observed these radiators have a tiny bit of solder in every joint

18operator

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpgUPDATE:

While
removing the radiator from the truck, I accidentally hit it up against the safety catch for the winch. I kind of created a leak! OOPs.
So I took it up to the local radiator shop. They fixed the leak and resoldered the shroud. They also flushed and repainted it too!
Not bad for $45.00!

brianp454

Wow! I wish there was a radiator shop like that around here. I've tried a couple and they both insisted that I needed a $800+ complete re-core.

18operator

I did ask about a recore, and was told that it would be cheaper to get a new or NOS radiator. They said I should be fine with the repair. I dropped it off at 11 on Wednesday and picked it up at 11 on Thursday!

rustystud

Maybe search around for an "honest" repair shop.
Out here in the Pacific Northwest with all our "environmental laws" it is getting harder and harder to find a shop that actually "repairs" radiators anymore. Last year I searched all over and finally found one in downtown Seattle (I live near Duval which is 40 miles east of Seattle as the Crow flies) . Talking with the manager he told me since they where "grandfathered" in they could not force them out of business, but they where making it very difficult with "New" regulations all the time.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks