• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 four speed??

seabeeut

waiting to inspect what I am told is a 1971 K/jeep M35A2 with a multi fuel engine and a four speed? My research has shown that they were all five speeds.
Any input is welcome hope to see it in person Sat.

Loco_Hosa

A few possibility's come to mind.

1: Its been swapped (I wouldnt want an A2 with a four speed non overdrive
2: The owner considers it a 4 speed with a "Granny low" (More likely)
3: The owner is simply mistaken

If the owner thinks its a 4 speed with granny low, then you need to be warry. These trans do not to be started in second, it can and will damage the shaft. (From what I have read, no first hand experience)

The first thing that will happen is the second gear key-way will shear, the gear then spins on its shaft, and welds itself back on. (And you would have no idea) The next time it breaks the whole entire shaft breaks into two pieces.

Goose2448

Welcome to SS!

Well it should have the Spicer 3053a 5 speed trans. Now some of the first M35 had a 4 speed mated with the I6 Gas. There were a lot of these truck that were converted into the A1s and A2s. The chance of a 4 speed making it to the A2 is highly unlikely, but I think I remember seeing one a while back. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure I have seen one before.

Goose2448

Well there is that possibility that it could. A M35 with the REO Gold Comet or continental OA331 inline-6 gasoline engine, sometimes had 4 speed transmissions and others had direct 5th transmissions. They were rare, but they were out there. I agree that it is most likely miss advertised. Its either Stock, maybe the owner does not realize 1st is below Reverse. Or Maybe it really did just get the Engine swapped. I looked at a A2 once that started life in the early 50s, think it was a 52, but was reto fited in 69, but only had the engine and trans swapped. All the Gauges and plates were of the M35 gasser.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A '71 would be too new to have a 4 speed. I seriously doubt any one would put in a 4 speed tranny old enough to go on a gasser, as it would be more in demand to retore an older truck to original condition.

seabeeut

thanks for the input hope the seller just made a mistake this could be a good deal for me, right in my range and running good truck to start with.
When I get to inspect, will post what I find.

spicergear

I'd like to see literature showing a four speed in gas Reo's AND a picture of the trans. I agree with loco-hosa that someone is considering it a four speed and granny.

englishmauser

A few possibility's come to mind.

1: Its been swapped (I wouldnt want an A2 with a four speed non overdrive
2: The owner considers it a 4 speed with a "Granny low" (More likely)
3: The owner is simply mistaken

If the owner thinks its a 4 speed with granny low, then you need to be warry. These trans do not to be started in second, it can and will damage the shaft. (From what I have read, no first hand experience)

The first thing that will happen is the second gear key-way will shear, the gear then spins on its shaft, and welds itself back on. (And you would have no idea) The next time it breaks the whole entire shaft breaks into two pieces.
I have also read not to start out in second gear. I have at times though, until I found that out. Has anyone else done this and caused damage?

spicergear

If I'm on the right down grade I'll start in 3rd. The notchy-ness of the shifting out of 1st and losing most of your momentum adapts you to starting off in 2nd gear for about everything unloaded. If you want to accelerate smoothly and not worry about the mentioned gear key, slap the t-case into low and pull out in second gear low, then pull'er up to high (still in second gear) then continue up through the gears. I do that even loaded pulling out because 1st gear sucks to come out of. There are a couple threads about using the t-case to split lower gears. It sounds odd, but is VERY convenient to keep momentum going.

spicergear

Hopefully M35Tom will chime in on this as he knows these transmissions better than anyone. I'd like to hear his two cents on the key shear dealie for second gear. Maybe I've been lucky, but other than a load or a steep uphill start, I use second to start with no splits. I also ran one of these transmissions behind a 427BBC in my 8,000lb M715 for years with no gear splitting and second gear starts darn near everywhere.

cbvet

I put some hard miles on an M35 gasser in Vietnam. Only used 1st gear when starting-out uphill or with a really heavy load.
I treat my M35A2s the same way now.
Never even heard of a trans problem attributed to this.

seabeeut

Sorry guys we will never know what really was in this deuce
The person never called back or returned any messages!!
When I started searching for I a deuce I never would have thought it would take this long.
I have met some great folks and the search goes on.aua

yustie

While we are talking about these transmissions, does anyone have any thoughts about installing a Spicer Four Speed Auxilary transmission behind the standard five speed main box of the 1971 Multi-Fuel Deuce? I'm thinking about this update in the hopes of increasing road speed on up-hill highway pulls, yet have the ability to the lower gear ability for off-road and hard-pulls.

Jeepsinker

It won't work if you want to retain the rear suspension articulation. You would have to shorten the driveshaft enough that it would have a terrible angle and be prone to breaking u-joints when the suspension articulates. I doubt you would even be able to fearlessly drive through a roadside ditch without damage afterward. By the way, you did notice the last post on this thread was like 4 years ago right?
I suggest looking up Waterloospecialties.com, member M35tom makes and sells drop in overdrive kits for your transmission.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks