• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 from Hooks, TX to Daleville, AL

fteagle

I'm waiting on an EUC to come back for a M35A2 I purchased off of govliquidation at Hooks, TX. I am planning to try and drive it back the 615 miles to Daleville, AL. Just in case I run into problem and can't drive it back, is there anyone who might serve as backup to haul it instead. Thanks and Happy New Year!

Jeepsinker

And I can help if you come through Louisiana. I won five of those trucks there and am waiting for clearances as well. Just went and picked up a trailer today there and looked over two of my trucks. Not disappointed at all with the condition.

fteagle

Thanks ARYankee and Jeepsinker. I should be mainly traveling on I-20 through Louisiana and Mississippi, but can you guys PM your phone number? I know I'm taking a chance by trying to self-recover that Duece, but the one I purchased looks to be in great condition.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
You should try to get someone close to Hooks to check it for you. I won a truck (M35A2) out of Ft Bliss a while back and it had been sitting for so long that the fuel system was completely wrecked from algae growth. In tank pump, tank, primary, secondary fuel housings and IP head had to be replaced before the truck would run. It had a full tank of fuel when the Army parked it and almost a quarter of it had evaporated based on the corrosion line inside the tank, It looked really nice in the pics though!

Last edited:

fteagle

Thanks FMJ. I posted an inspection request in the govliquidation, inspection request forum area. Sorry to hear about the bad luck with your deuce. I really hope this recovery is as simple as driving it home.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks FMJ. I posted an inspection request in the govliquidation, inspection request forum area. Sorry to hear about the bad luck with your deuce. I really hope this recovery is as simple as driving it home.
Good luck to you! I would really plan on having it shipped, most of the Deuces that come up on GL now have been sitting for years. . . . I've been lucky recovering M35's, none have let me down on the way home, but this last one, I towed home with my Deuce.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Negative, was told by the lady there yesterday that the trucks in question were driven to and parked where they are now about two months ago.
If so, was this a GL rep?
Having won multiple deuces out of that batch of turn-ins they came from the 72nd Medical out of Tinker, OK with "cease use" orders from Aug of 2012. Turn in papers showed they were brought to DRMO in Dec of that year. No indication when they were handed over to GL but still.. sitting a few years: about one yes. Moved around the yard: multiple times I'm sure. "Start with jump" said paperwork: all.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Having won multiple deuces out of that batch of turn-ins they came from the 72nd Medical out of Tinker, OK with "cease use" orders from Aug of 2012. Turn in papers showed they were brought to DRMO in Dec of that year. No indication when they were handed over to GL but still.. sitting a few years: about one yes. Moved around the yard: multiple times I'm sure. "Start with jump" said paperwork: all.
Well sounds like the OP is in luck then. 650 miles is a long way. . .

I must be getting old, would not have even blinked at something like this a few years ago. . . .

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
All you need to do is carry enough of the fluids that leak out in order to make it home! :p

been there done that, got a hat and a t-shirt. . . .

UH-60 Driver

Jeepsinker, thanks for the info. That makes me feel alot better about a roadtrip!!:grin:
Jeepsinker - I am self recovering, from Hooks, what was listed as an M35 ( It looks like an M35A2C) this weekend and bringing it back to either Omaha or Des Moines. How was your recent experience with your recovery? I'm more than a little nervous about this self recovery. Although the pictures of the listed M35 looked great, I know how much can go wrong!

Were the GL people easy to deal with?
Any mechanical issues you had to work thru? ( Mine was listed as "Batteries Dead") I was planning on simply replacing the batteries with some good store bought ones.
Any extra info you may have I am interested in.

I plan on driving it straight north up to K.C. then either driving it to Omaha to my Parents house or to Des Moines near where I live.

Any heads up on what to expect would be GREAT!!

Thanks.