• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Front bumper Mods

peashooter

Nice work. Now you can use the lower front clearance as an excuse for some larger tires. I'm sure if you find the added boxes hang down too far that you will find a way to rework it. Good job for doing something different!

w3azel

Add a little bit more angles and have the outside corners narrower and shorter then the middle. This one seems a little bulky and simple but a good start.

BBQROD

Yeah I agree on the hang down part but if you were to lift it and throw on some supper single tires it would be perfect. It is constructed out of .25 plate and the step is going to slide down in the middle and will make it easy to work on.

oboyjohn

How about making life a little bit easier and safer by adding a work platform into the bumper. Up here in Canada, we incorporated a platform into the front bumper assembly for the ease of maintenance and safety into almost all of our MLVW's ( M35 A2's ). The platform is about 2 feet wide and does not really cause a problem with approach angles. With the cold weather we have up here and with the snow, it makes sense to have a platform instead of balancing on a slippery bumper. I have posted pictures previously here on another thread of our bumpers, but if someone wants them I could re-post them. ( And by the way, its is minus 17 degrees here in Montreal this morning, or 2 degrees Fahrenheit for my southern friends ) !

BBQROD

G'day everyone,....

I'm concerned about the total weight you added, what is that going to do to your fuel consumption?

I do like the jerry can holders though.

Aussie.
Believe it or not it's probably no heavier than two OE bumpers two men can carry it around fine. I am willing to build the bumper that you would like to have on your truck. I built this one as a demo and kind of a hands on improvement model. So it will evolve more. So stay tuned!

Danger Ranger

Subd.

Thats a great idea on the light housings....I thought for sure you would be just putting the lights in behind the factory bumper and not building housing for them though. I think keeping the factory bumper lines would be sweet, and if needed you could put a housing of sorts on the back of the bumper. Follow? The good LED lightbars these days don't need much protection, they seem to hold up really well to abuse.

BBQROD

Yeah no doubt there tough alright but I wanted more to stand on while working under the hood and I'm adding a hide away step to make the assent to the engine bay easier on the knees.

rustystud

Gotcha' Thanks! Also I'd be interested in some type of winch cable cover. Like a flip/fold up thing or something that comes off.

Below are some pics of my bumper mods too (nevermind the yellow circle in the first pic, it was just showing someone before the longer u-bolts for the Air-O-Matic)
Your mods are the best out there "Peashooter" .

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what it is worth, I do like the concept of your bumper improvement. Somehow it needs something on top...such as a bull bar. I am getting carried away.
If the boxes on the sides would provide useful storage space (i.e for recovery straps, chains or the snatch block no one knows where to put) it would be cool looking and practical.

oboyjohn

Hey Peashooter, I spotted something in your pictures that looked familiar. Are those Canadian pattern XLS 11:00 X 20 tires on split rims? How do you like them in comparision to your trucks origional setup? Are your IR lights functional? By the way, I like your mod for the jerry can mounts, clean setup and a good location.

BBQROD

Would you want the cable cover to go between the bumper top and the two bolts on top of the winch or something that would just slide down the two cable guides on either side of the cable spool?

peashooter

Would you want the cable cover to go between the bumper top and the two bolts on top of the winch or something that would just slide down the two cable guides on either side of the cable spool?
I'm not really sure what i would want other that I'd like it to be metal (preferably aluminum). I havent thought about it enough but a way to protect the cable from the elements would be nice (I know they have a canvas cover but its just not "my style"). If I were to do a drum cover, I'd want it to be simple and minimal since my truck has too much bling on it already:)

This thread has some extreme front bumper mods too that certainly gave me some of my ideas when I did mine:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?70531-Front-bumper-mods&p=860066&viewfull=1#post860066

Here was another inspiration for me:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-and-community&p=751722&viewfull=1#post751722

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is EXACTLY what I want to do to mine. I'm pretty tall at 6-6 so I can reach a lot but that is the best design so far for access. Very nice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks