• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Fuel Pump Fuse Radioshack

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidWymore

One of the MV websites had the fuses for $12.00 ea IIRC.

If anyone needs some, I could try to get extra. Gotta go to the next town over.

...or I suppose you can order them from RS.

steelandcanvas

$12 for a 5 small slow-blow glass fuse?? You should be able to buy a couple of 5 fuse boxes for that. Go to your local NAPA, they shouldn't be that much even at NAPA. I understand the correct size is 5 amp, slow-blow.

DavidWymore

$12 for a 5 small slow-blow glass fuse?? You should be able to buy a couple of 5 fuse boxes for that. Go to your local NAPA, they shouldn't be that much even at NAPA. I understand the correct size is 5 amp, slow-blow.
Napa has fuses, but didn't say they were slow blow. I'm pretty sure it's 2amp based on what I've read everywhere. Warm diesel fuel is explosive, danger! Its gets plenty hot on a warm day after it's been pumped up to the hot engine and returned a few times. Once it's warm enough to evaporate into fumes, boooom! If you've ever put BBQ starting fluid or diesel on already hot coals, you know. It will WOOF just like gasoline.

TM 9-2320-209-20-3-1 page 4-53 states a "2 ampere" fuse. "Higher ampere fuse could cause fuel to explode if pump overheats."

Besides pump overheating, a poor electrical connection which may be only warm can burn off creating a spark or flame if too much current (amperes) is allowed to run through it when the pump binds or seizes.

I wouldn't go higher than 3 amps. I know many people are using way higher fuses than 2 amps, and as long as nothing bad happens they will get away with it. In fact, if a higher-amp fuse had been proven to cause a tank fire or explosion, NO ONE would use the wrong fuse. But all it will take is the one time and someone's daddy, brother, or uncle will be in the burn unit at the hospital or in the morgue.

If it's blowing the fuse something's wrong. Fix it!:wink:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?42852-M35A2-Fuel-Pump-Fuse-Location/page2

Also check your in-tank fuel hose and grounds inside tank.

http://wowapi.net/m35a2/M35A2_in-tank_fuel_pump_fuse_replacement.htm

http://trucks25ton.tpub.com/TM-9-2320-209-20-3-1/TM-9-2320-209-20-3-10139.htm

steelandcanvas

Good research David...some of the posts I read before responding indicated a 2 amp fuse would not hold on a perfectly good lift pump. I'll have to agree with you, that 5 amp may be a little too much, however every fuse I ever replaced on a Deuce lift pump had that pesky 5 amp, slow-blow fuse in it. I was an Commercial Electrician for 28 years and would not even entertain the thought of installing an incorrect fuse or breaker, and creating a safety hazard I could be held liable for. Thanks for bringing this to light...I'm going to take my Fluke and just see how much current a lift pump draws. I'll try and remember to come back here with my findings.

DavidWymore

Excellent, Sounds good to me. Good to hear from a pro. Mine had a 4amp and looked like it might've been original. Seems like the ones I saw for sale were new old stock and were two amp. I think somewhere I even saw a TM that said two amp. But I bet you three or 4 is fine. Sounds like we'll know soon. I wonder how many amps it might pull pumping cold waste oil? Course there wouldn't be much worry about fire in that case.

rustystud

Napa has fuses, but didn't say they were slow blow. I'm pretty sure it's 2amp based on what I've read everywhere. Warm diesel fuel is explosive, danger! Its gets plenty hot on a warm day after it's been pumped up to the hot engine and returned a few times. Once it's warm enough to evaporate into fumes, boooom! If you've ever put BBQ starting fluid or diesel on already hot coals, you know. It will WOOF just like gasoline.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?42852-M35A2-Fuel-Pump-Fuse-Location/page2

Also check your in-tank fuel hose and grounds inside tank.

http://wowapi.net/m35a2/M35A2_in-tank_fuel_pump_fuse_replacement.htm

http://trucks25ton.tpub.com/TM-9-2320-209-20-3-1/TM-9-2320-209-20-3-10139.htm
The "flash point of diesel fuel is between 126F to 205F . So you guys in the SouthWest take note !

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A search on SS for "slow blow fuse", should find dozens of threads with the correct fuse listed.

Hainebd

Voltage affects fuse rating. If you go to RS or NAPA most likely buying 12 volt fuses not 24 volt. A 5 amp 12 volt is equal to 10 amp at 24 volt. Slow blow or not your pump will overheat before blowing fuse. So if the TM calls for 2 amp 24 volt slow blow then a 1 amp 12 volt slow blow should get you home. Now if the fuse blew, why before you put another fuse in. That fuse is to save the wire. If you run WMO or keep your cap unlocked or have not done your fuel system maintenance which should include pulling the pump to check electrical conections and your fuse blew, there is an issue. Check the TM before doing any work on your beast. She deserves that amount of respect.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuses are typically rated for up to 250 volts.

The amp rating does not change with voltage.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All this has been covered in depth and posted.

This thread does not help provide reliable(and accurate) information.

This is why we like old threads updated or searched out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks