• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 home made camper ideas

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
why not just get the 5 ton with the M4 body on it, you will spend more than this on almost anything else anyway

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeepsinker

Like everyone else says, best thing to do is start with an S-280. You are going to spend a good bit of cash and a lot more time building any other type of enclosure anyway.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Y'all make some valid points. That's why I asked here, to get some feedback.

I think the steel shipping crate I've got will work but it's going to take some modification. In it's current form it's 16' long and 9' wide. The floor is made of 4" I-beam perimeter with 2X4 rectangle tubing for cross members and it has fork pockets. The sides and top are made of 1"x1" square tubing, 2" flat bar "X" bracing, and covered with thin galvanized sheet. The galvanized sheet isn't waterproof as there are several unsealed seems and it's not very smooth. It was a overseas shipping crate for a 40,000# turret punch press.

Jeepsinker

You really need to consider empty weight of the empty shelter itself too though no matter what you decide to go with. The container you are talking about sounds quite heavy and needs a lot of modification and work.

rustystud

Using a steel structure would not be the way I would go about it. The weight would be a deal breaker for me. Then there's the rust issues. Aluminum would be the ticket I think. I don't know what the S-280 is made of as I have never seen one, but if it's aluminum I would seriously consider it. If your a good aluminum welder and have a good spool gun, then I would just make my own. This would also be a good reason to take up aluminum welding ! I love welding aluminum, it's a great metal to work with. At one time I was even going to make my own 40ft cruise boat. That was before I had the spinal fusion, and the knee replacement, and my shoulder rebuilt. Now the wrist fusion. :(

turnkey

Used the advice of getting a civic camper..(14ft single axel) Jayco....Cut hitch and axle off...Slide it in and used 1 inch threaded bolts to hold it in place....Keeped the propane tanks up front.added a Honda gen all set to go.....Used floor jacks (set up for trailer)..to get it on and off M35A3 I had...worked out great....But you want to go out, I stayed at KOA camp sites...Like hot showers......Best of luck on this one, lots of things to think about...Have a great trip in it....