• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 injection pump removal

orrisd4

Ok so here is my issue , I had to take the entire body of the old girl ; the rust was just that bad.

I have a new cab waiting to go on this weekend , as such i need to take the steering box out to replace the seals , Only way i can see to do this is to pull the injector pump off for clearance.

I have tried the search feature on here , it was of little help. So can anyone point me in the right direction , or list a tm number where i might find this?

Thanks

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have the body off, remove 3 engine mounting bolts. Losen the passenger side rear bolt. lift the front of the engine and swing it to the passenger side. If this isn't a option, you can replace the output shaft seal in place. Remove the pitman arm and using a seal puller pry it out and tap the new one in place.

orrisd4

i lack access to a forklift or crane ATM. so i need the steering column/box removed to place the new cab on , with it being removed being able to change the seals is just a bonus.

edit: as the steering wheel is also more or less destroyed , the steering assembly being removed will make it a lot easier to get that fixed as well

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Even with the IP off the motor, it is no fun!

I decided to put a new IP on my motor while I was doing the headgaskets. I decided while the IP was off, to put in the new steering column I had sitting here. It took over an hour.

Yes, loosening the motor mounts and jacking the motor away comes in very handy!!!!

orrisd4

ok gimpy , sounds like good advise.

So if i have this correct , remove the IP, loosen engine mount bolts , fight the steering unit out ,
rebuild steering unit , mount cab then reassemble ?

If that's the case i still could use some info on where to find the IP removal procedure.

orrisd4

ok so i'm going to swallow my pride and just ask , after searching all my books and this site for over an hour , can anyone just tell me witch of the three markings on the harmonic balance is the correct timing mark for an LDT-465-1C?

As i need to pick up a new 1 5/8 socket tomorrow this really didn't hold me up too bad , still a tad irritating.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would look at taking off the fender. I just took the steering box off to replace the steering column and install a power steering unit. We took the fender off and the steering box was no problem.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There is 3 marks on the balancer, use the top mark if you have a turbo. Should say LDS/LDT.

Also, I wouldn't use the balancer bolt to turn the motor. Put the trans in 4th gear and the T case in neutral, then turn the short shaft with a prybar.