• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 INSPECTION IN TEXAS-PART 2 (TEXAN SS Deuce Owners)

saddamsnightmare

January 9th, 2008.

Gentlemen: See M35A2 Inspection in Texas Part 3 to follow:

My hat's off to you gentlmen who located the pertinent section of the Texas Code re: Inspection of ex military vehicles. The 1971 M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" has a title and a set of Texas Truck Plates W0
inspection or alteration. The Tax office folks wouldn't believe the Texas Code citation and called Longview for a read, and the result was that the title and plates had to be issued. They wouldn't go the use of the bumper markings or military ID No, I guess it was just too much of a shock for their system--- but I can live with two plates and no license light as versus cut canvas. The photsof the two trucks will follow shortly.
As a footnote to UNIMOG S404.114 owners, my 1963 Mercedes Benz S404.114 (Swiss) is back on the road after a month of fighting a fouled gasoline system ( load of BAD Texas gas), the ended up requiring cleaning the system, replacing the carb and fuel pump, and changing the military ignition to a civillian MB Unimog type- MAN, these criiters are like the PORSCHE 914 of military trucks, look out souped Hondas, youre dead meat up to 35 MPH.
THanks again for the information, assistance and kind words, now to Red River Arsenal for a 1-1/2 ton ammo trailer if I can sway the wife. I remain, as always, awestruck by the knowledge resources that exists on this site in the heads (and hands) of its members. Sincerely,
Kyle F. McGrogan

sermis

Is Longview the regional office? Call the Waco office and explain to them that you want to register it with the bumper numbers and having a problem. They can fix it and then no plates to be displayed. My local office in Temple never got it right. On my M725 they used the VIN# as the registration number and I gave up. I carry a copy of the law in the truck. On the M35 I did it as former military vehicle and have to display one plate on the rear. When I get the stickers on it I will go back and change it to the bumper / hood numbers and will not need the license plate. I think if they issued 2 truck plates and registered it as a truck and not former military vehicle it might not qualify for the exemptions.

sermis

You local vehicle registration office should have the military plates there fs you want to go with the plate. Mine did. I was told that maybe one or two get registered every couple years. I have done two. Only one plate is displayed on the truck.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
snowplow said:
FMJ, I have moved 2 M35's w/o any plates & no problem. Ist time from IL to KA very worried that I would be pulled over, but the police figure you are an army truck. The other was from CA to WA, & no problem ether. Not sure about other areas, but I would not worry about your short drive.

Larry
I've been waiting on my sf97 and in the mean time I've been driving my deuce everywhere with no tags. Cops just think you're the NG or Army.
A friend of mine pulled up on a wreck one time in his deuce and they had the road shut down and wouldn't let anyone through. He pulled up and they flagged him around the other cars and let him pass. One cop saluted him and told him thanks for his service as he passed by. They thought he was active military.

saddamsnightmare

JAnuary 11th, 2008.

Gentlemen:

I will check with the Waco office in regards to correcting the license to the bumper numbers, and I do carry a copy of the statute sections with the registration, figuring that when some local cop notices only the county sticker in the winshield and no inspection sticker, I have no doubt there'll be a pull over. I doubt the State troopers will bother about the truck because they're are so slow compared to anything else, you'd have to speed ina school zone to do anything, as mine maxes out at 53 MPH on the downgrades. (RPM limits on the tachometer).
I'll keep you appraised as to the outcome, and again, permit me to invite any of you coming through Paris, Texas in your MV's or PV's to come visit the Sam Bell Maxey House State Historic Site at 812 S. Church Street, Paris,TX 75460 Tel:(903)785-5716. If you bring your dueces, leave the trailer home or warn me in advance, as our parking lot will hold a deuce (barely), but there is no room to manuever the trailer (even an M105), and I have to get City permission to park busses (and I guess, MV's) on Washington Street next to the house.

Thanks again,
Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1963 Mercedes Benz S404.114 Unimog (Swiss)
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran Truck