• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Instument Panel L.E.D Lighting

patch

Now that I've poisoned myself, can anyone tell me what one of the radium gauges look like? I'm guessing they glow in the dark by themselves which is not something I've noticed on any of those gauges. The truck is a 67' and all the gauges are original (I'm guessing) with the exception of the fuel gauge (newer, all plastic rear). I did notice while doing this tha the pointer for the speedo will glow in the dark after being exposed to bright light. Very similar to if one were to hold a flashlight to the face of watch with a glowing dial. Now I'm crossing my dumb fingers hoping it's not radium.[/QUOTE]

Do a search on this site for radium, I know this has come up before. If I recall from past threads, most of these gauges were changed out years ago when the govt. became aware of the problem. In any event I wouldn't worry about it because the amount of radiation emitted by any radium gage is extremely small....

CurryRA

Thanks everyone for the info here. Although difficult, I refrained from licking the gauge pointers during this install. Thanks again :-D

CurryRA

Yeah, if those are set up to work off 24V then you wouldn't want to wire them up in series. If you did, they would end up being half as bright as they should be. With the 24V L.E.D's you could wire them all in parallel and be done.

If you're thinking of doing this proect I'd highly reccomend using the 3mm L.E.D's as the 5mm ones just barely fit and I had to be really precise how I drilled the holes.

If you take the time to do it you won't be disappointed with the end result. Not only will the L.E.D's last for somewhere around 100,000 hours, but they also draw so little power that your electrical system won't even notice them.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that's a very clean and good job. I had thought about the LED tape around the guages so that there would be many LEDs there, more uniform. but the little LED dots would still possibly distract. I put a little shelf over the guage area on which the pyro and boost guages are mounted. Under this I put a trailer-type LED strip so I can't see the strip but it shines on the guages. What I have found is that bright little pinpoint light sources in the cab make it hard to see while driving on pitch black roads, but that is just my eyes, others may not be affected. I don't know if anyone has ever actually taken the instruments apart to see if a lamp could be mounted inside. Regular instruments are painted white or light blue inside to try to diffuse and carry the light around to the front. One thought would be to check if the guages glow in UV light, and if so, do it with UV LEDs. Bring back the 70's with black light!

Well enjoy the radium! It's a gift that keeps on giving! My dash is a little hot as well.

CurryRA

If a guy was worried about the ambient light from the L.E.D's affecting vision while driving at night you could mount the L.E.D's pointing down from the top of the gauge too. That way you'd never see the pinpoint light. I agree with the concern though. If the gauge panel was directly in front of the driver (as in most vehicles), these would be distracting for sure.

As for taking them apart, I seem to recall that the metal ring around the face was crimped in several spots in order to hold the clear lens in place. The back of the gauge didn't look like you could disassemble it at all. Has anyone attempted taking one apart?

L.E.D's are available in different intensities/outputs too so you could "tune" the dashlights to something that suits you. I do plan to either add an addtional resistor or a potentiometer to be able to dim them where they need to be.

Lots of different ways to skin a cat......;-)

Jake0147

Yeah, the gauges are crimped. The ring that holds the clear lense is crimped all the way around, and it's pretty much not pretty when you try to take them apart. Not to mention that your crimped and then uncrimped and then recrimped area needs to be flat so the gauge can be re-installed flat against the gauge panel... Better to make a test run on a broken gauge and see if you've got what it takes. I sure don't have it.:oops:

I'm thinking I'm gonna try Bjorn's approach with the different bulbs first. Of course I've been thinking that since early last summer, so maybe I'm not thinking hard enough about it.... They're almost bright enough to be fine for me as they are. If that doesn't cut it, I have to ask, in the pics above there appears to be a reflected "X" with a beam from each LED. Is that a camera effect, or is that truely how the LEDs appear when actually viewed first hand?

CurryRA

The reflected "X" is was really exaggerated by the fact that it was pitch dark outside and my camera didn't want to focus. Also, any bit of dirt/dust stuck to the back of the gauge lens is going to be illuminated.

The L.E.D's I put in have a narrow (10 degree I think) beam. If you could find L.E.D's that have a wider beam they would throw the light more evenly. There is somewhat of an "X" shape to the light cast by the ones I installed. With the 5mm L.E.D's (as mentioned before) I really had squeeze them in and subsequently the holes in the gauge were drilled just about perpendicular to the gauge face. If you used a 3mm L.E.D then you should be able to angle the mounted hole backwards that that the light shines more directly on the face of the gauge and away from the gauge face.

Hope this helps a bit, Ross

shepsjeep

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LEDs are a great idea! A TIP - When I was in the Navy working on Aircraft instruments, we used a little trick that works really well. Before you install the bulbs/LEDs, paint 1/2 of the bulb/LED vertically with black paint and face the other side to the face of the instrument, this will minimize the glare and light only the letters on the dial. You have to keep the bulb stationary in the dial and use high heat paint for bulbs. LEDs just flat black model paint.
GREAT JOB and clean install!!!!

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reflected "X" is was really exaggerated by the fact that it was pitch dark outside and my camera didn't want to focus. Also, any bit of dirt/dust stuck to the back of the gauge lens is going to be illuminated.

The L.E.D's I put in have a narrow (10 degree I think) beam. If you could find L.E.D's that have a wider beam they would throw the light more evenly. There is somewhat of an "X" shape to the light cast by the ones I installed. With the 5mm L.E.D's (as mentioned before) I really had squeeze them in and subsequently the holes in the gauge were drilled just about perpendicular to the gauge face. If you used a 3mm L.E.D then you should be able to angle the mounted hole backwards that that the light shines more directly on the face of the gauge and away from the gauge face.

Hope this helps a bit, Ross

The 5mm LEDs used on your lighting project appear to have a 15 degree viewing angle.

The 3mm red LEDs I'd like to use on my own such M35A2 panel lighting upgrade project will have a 45 degree viewing angle.

I will also more than likely mount them from the top side of the gauge face...and so far, blacking out the front side of the LED is not out of the question either.

Many thanks to Ross for posting your conversion process in such great detail, with awesome pics as well.

Many thanks to everyone else for some very good input as well.

Jay

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blind baby

not to step on any toes, but did you look into retrofitted bulbs that are LEDs?

.... clip ....
I did...being the cheap ass that I am.

But, I'm sneaking up on 60 years of age so fast it's scary...and can use the extra illumination.

Plus, it's a perfect project for a tinkerer.

1970amgeneral

that looks really good man. i was thinking about doing something like that with my deuce. i unplugged all gauges to repaint and lost my diagram so now i have no idea where they go. they are not labeled or numbered due to age i guess. so any suggestions?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks