• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Intank fuel pump working correctly???

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,

I bought a lot of 5 "unknown working condition" fuel pumps off of ebay for $50.00.. one had a bad motor, one had a bad pump, 3 worked right out of the box.. So I swaped parts, and now have 4 working pumps. I hooked them up to 24V, out them in a tupperware container, and turned them on. After making a huge mess (The pump shoots up about 10 inches into the air) I determined that it looks to me like the 4 pumps are good to go. Is it really that simple, where if the pump pumps, it's good? Or do I need to "pressure test" them somehow???

jwaller

ya thats one heck of a deal. I bought a reman pump from Memphis for 500 and about 2 weeks later it quit. thankfully it's got a 1 year warranty.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I stole a NOS one on Epay a couple of years ago for $125. It don't get any better than what you got Mark.

Jones

Only problem I've had on a regular though infrequent basis is the bottom plate coming off of the pump. The originals are safety wired on but some guys rebuild them with cotter pins which work out if the ends aren't spread enough. With no bottom plate, the pump motor runs but the thing won't build pressure/flow. Since they often come out of tanks that haven't been in service for some time, I pull the plate and spin the pump shaft by hand to make sure the thing isn't gummed up and frozen, clean impellor area, re-install bottom plate and safety wire in. Last two cost me $75.00 ea.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got one at Barstow last year for $75.00. They had a bin filled with them all take-offs in pretty bad shape mostly, but they tested it. Jon was there.
Don't know about the plate situation though, need to check that out, thanks for the reminder Leonard. Robert Miller posted something about the plates last year also with pictures, time for a search....

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Robert Miller posted something about the plates last year also with pictures, time for a search....
I think JWaller did as well.

jwaller

yes I did but my image was off site and I dont think it works anymore. bsically you just drill thru the side of the lip that the bottom plate goes into and pin the plate in place with either saftly wire or screws/bolts or a cotter pin. the originals like to fall out as it's a very weak press fit.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hypothetically, if I didn't "know" about the plates where would they be shown? The exploded view below is rather complete down to the fasteners, but no plates are shown.
My two "new" pumps (to be used on the xm757) lack these plates....

Attachments

rmgill

On the bottom of the item 14.2. on the teardrop shaped fitting. That's where the impeller is and the fuel line comes out of that.

houdel

There have been several threads on this topic. Apparently the most frequent problem is the bottom plate falls off. The thread Joel mentioned how to reassemble the lower end of the pump. If your problem is simply that the bottom of the pump fell apart, the fix is pretty easy. If the problem is that the motor is dead, then you are looking at big bucks to find a whole new in tank pump assembly. At that time I'd just buy one of Saturn's $40 in line 24V pumps and just use my old pump a a suction tube to suck fuel out of the tank!