• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 low oil pressure.....

Kohburn

So....out of curiosity, if my engine had too much clearance in the rod bearings...wouldnt I hear her knocking around a bit?
part of why accurate oil pressure readings are so important - you will see drops in oil pressure long before you get enough clearance for a knock. in which case you can usually just replace bearings and it's just like new. once you get a knock often the crank will be damaged.

bart6453

Good news!!!!

I got the mechanical gauge installed and at idle its at 75psi! YES!

But...I still have a non functioning gauge on my dash.

I bench tested the old oil pressure sender and it failed, of course the new one is just fine. But I still don't have any oil pressure readings.

At the gauge end of the wiring I have 12.7 ohm resistance while running, which I assume translates into about 75psi on a 120psi sender???

Also the other wire appears to be dead, no voltage and resistance to infinity.

Any ideas? Is it my gauge? Anyone know how to bench test a oil pressure gauge?

rustystud

It is possible that your sending unit is a 60 PSI unit, multifuel trucks had both 60 and 120 PSI sending unit available and someone might have installed the wrong one, I have seen it more than a few times in 20 years of this fun. JT
If the gauge was the wrong one and he was reading the main line pressure, then wouldn't that mean the wiring is wrong ? The cabin pressure gauge reads the "adjusted" pressure so if the wrong gauge is used then he would be getting a lower-than-normal pressure reading in the cabin, correct ?
Either way he needs to check it with a good pressure gauge and go from there.

V8srfun

I agree that the best coarse of action is to put a mechanical on it and see what is actually happening.

things to consider

all engines will have lower oil pressure when warm as the oil thins and the bearing tolerance grow from the heat.

the old military gauges are known to be miserably inaccurate at best.

fuel contamination could cause low oil pressure but simply checking your oil can confirm or deny that as a possibility.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks