• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 NATO Slave-Starting system

Rivrdog

I want to get a NATO Slave Starting cable for my 1972 M35a2. It has an operable (connected) NATO-style, 2-prong female Cannon plug receptacle by the passenger-side door on the cab body.

My research tells me that this cable was standard Unit equipment for the period of service of these vehicles (although I was in Vehicle Maintenance for the OR Air Guard, maintained these trucks and never saw one of the cables).

The NATO STANAG (specification) #4074 for the cable would have had it with two male ends, and 25-30 feet of # 1 twin-lead battery cable. Current NATO specs still call for all vehicles to be equipped with such a slave-starting receptacle, but the spec has changed, and now it's a single-prong plug that's used. I want one of the older ones, that would be period-correct for my restored M35a2.

The female receptacle on the truck has "Cannon" on it, and two numbers (19384 & 7321299), but none of the commercial suppliers of the-now ITT-Cannon carry the older plug.

Has anyone seen one of these cable sets laying around? Or at auction?

Thanks for the help.

Rivrdog

monkeythumbs

Are you actually talking about the "Slave Cables" that you connect to 2 trucks or just wanting a single port for your truck ? I've seen slave cables at swap meets and on Ebay , I've attached a link below for a slave start cable, 11ft in lenght though. There are seperate sockets availble that you could also use to connect trucks together that have different ports(1 vs. 2). Hope this helps.
Military Slave Start Cable M151 M38 M38A1 M37 M35 MUTT: eBay Motors (item 140461150462 end time Nov-01-10 13:10:23 PDT)

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The new cables are all single pin but there are adapters to use them on a 2pin vehicle. If you have 2 adapters you can jump 2pin to 2pin with the single pin cable as well. If you're just looking for the period correct cable to have with a display then eBay, retail MV dealers, or the classifieds here are your best bet.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM sent

Rivrdog

Thanx for the reference. I went over there, but there's no info available as to whether it is new-type STANAG cable or the older type, which is what I need. I sent the seller a email to ask.

The price isn't bad, since a 12-foot size #1 cable set with spring clamps costs almost $90, and I would still have to hustle a STANAG plug to fit on it.

The other thing I want to do is have some direct battery access to operate a 24-volt inverter from. The alternator in the M35a2 is capable of producing 1680 watts, and I thought I might just buy a 1500-2000 watt DC to AC inverter to take advantage of all that power potential. That engine isn't the most efficient thing in the world, but it can idle all night on a gallon per hour, and I could have enough electric power to power my household essentials from it.

Chief_919

The other thing I want to do is have some direct battery access to operate a 24-volt inverter from. The alternator in the M35a2 is capable of producing 1680 watts, and I thought I might just buy a 1500-2000 watt DC to AC inverter to take advantage of all that power potential. That engine isn't the most efficient thing in the world, but it can idle all night on a gallon per hour, and I could have enough electric power to power my household essentials from it.
I wouldn't try to run anything for hours on end with an idling M35A2. Idling like that is very bad for the engine, and will lead to the same wet stacking issues that diesel generators run into. It sees no load, so it doesn't get hot and overfuels, and you end up with unbirned fuel washing down the cylinder walls causing faster ringw ear, then it dillutes your oil.

Rivrdog

Yes, a dead idle for hours would be bad, but the Op Manual says shorter-period idling is OK.

If I was making electrical energy with the M35, I would be manning the vehicle, and could increase idle speed occasionally. Of course, all that slow-speed stuff means more frequent oil changes, but I do those at minimum interval anyway.

Rivrdog

...plus, making electrical energy is not what the truck will usually be used for, only when it is in the emergency service of the County, with whom I have volunteered it, and only then in extreme conditions when mains power might be unavailable. I have Honda generators for primary power production when the mains fail.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the cable he wants. I'll be sending this one to him, tomorrow.

Attachments

Chief_919

This is the cable he wants. I'll be sending this one to him, tomorrow.
I have one like that, but it ends in two heavy duty jumper cable clamps.

Very handy to have working on stuff that doesn't have a slave cable connector. I need to find a 2 pole- NATO adpater, but one of the ones opposite the usual ones so I can plug them into a truck with a NATO connector.

Rivrdog

What I need would be like the part number earlier in this thread, but with the old, not new style of female connector on it. The spade lugs on the end are perfect.

Here's those numbers: PN 5705623 Slave Cable Kit NSN 9200134788035

Chief, yours might work, I would just swage on my own spade lugs with my heavy swaging tool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks