• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2, New York to Maine?

zeisshensoldt

I just purchased my first ever deuce truck. It's the M35A2 and I purchased it from a guy in Bloomingburg New York. What would be the best way of getting it to where I am (Bangor, Maine)? Would shipping be expensive?

Last edited:

plym49

I'd drive it. 50 to 55 mph is fun. Especially since you will maintain that speed uphill, where you get to pass the 18 wheelers that blew past you on the downslope.

I had a lot of trepidation initially driving my new-to-me M35A2 from NY to VT. It's now made the trip a few times. It has been as dependable as a new car (knock on wood).

Go over the truck well before you leave, take the obvious parts and tools with you, grab a set of ear muffs and enjoy the heck out of the ride. You'll be fine.

zeisshensoldt

Do I need to register it before i can drive it home? What does it typically cost to fill up a tank with diesel on one of these trucks?

RangerBob

Heh, heh, just did this...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/military-vehicle-road-trips/78305-m35a2-southern-ny-northern-nh.html

As for the legal logistics, you will need insurance, and you will need to either register it or get a transport permit...or do what I did. A quick call to my regular insurance agent in NM (State Farm) with the truck details (VIN, weight, etc) and some bucks got me covered for liability. And the current owner let me ride his plates for a couple of days so I didn't have to fly to NH for a registration, then fly to NY for the truck, or try to wrangle a transport permit from one state or another.

I believe my fill-up was about $150.

Boy, if I only had the free time I'd love to drive her home for you. As mentioned in the thread above, after I got mine home I tried to think of reasons not to park it yet!

Last edited:

zeisshensoldt

I was told by the guy I bought it from that it doesn't have a heater in it and that I should purchase an aftermarket or portable heater for it. Where do I get one of these? I'll definitely need some kind of heat source if I'm driving home in single digit weather for 8 hours

zeisshensoldt

I don't think that will be a fast or easy installation when i go to pick it up. Is there an alternative heater I can get?

Lex_Ordo

Don't worry about the heater. Once you get moving, these multi-fuels heat up to 180 degrees, and the heat will blow into the cab which will keep your windows clear, and warm your body. Dress warmly regardless, but trust me, I have had my truck for three years and I drive it all year.

I do not however take it out in the snow, and don't think there is enough heat to keep the windows from fogging in severe cold wet weather.

It depends entirely what you are planning to use your truck for.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to walmart and purchase a small propane radient heater. Just make sure the cab is well vented(trust me, it should already be from all the holes)

nk14zp

When do you plan on going to get it? Also if you don't get a heater opening up the MC door will let in some heat, covering the radiator with some cardboard will help too.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on your new purchase. I would go to the nearest truck stop. They have 12v personal cab heaters so you will be fine for your trip. I would get insurance and drive the sucker home with a huge smile on my face. Good luck and God Bless.

ludgy

i just drove mine back from jersey to central ny. had to get insurance beforehand, once in jersey got temp plates from the dmv there. cost 5$ for the plates.

seabeeut

if thats the one I looked at last month you should have no problems driving it home.
We took it for a drive had a lot of power shifted nice , congrat's on your new truck

Vintage iron

I have a complete heater set up for sale. I will sell it for $400. Plus shipping. Just pm me if your interested. I have driven my truck all over New England and it is always fun! Your truck will get plenty warm when driving. Have fun, that is what these truck are for.

plym49

On the issue of license plates, I will repeat what my old man drilled into me at a young age: "No plates are a misdemeanor (a ticket), and no insurance is a felony". His point was that no plates was not a big deal, but that you should have insurance. He was an old school NYPD detective who worked the Auto Squad. I guess not all cops (or states) play by the same rules, so on this you decide how you want to handle.

On the cost of a fill up, if the tank is bone dry it will take 50 gallons to fill, so you are looking at some $200 to fill it up. Expect around 10 mpg.

For the portable heaters. the 12v units will not do a **** thing. You would need to be drawing starting motor amperage to make a difference in that huge, drafty cab facing 50 mph air blowing past. For this trip, sit on an old Army blanket and drape another one over your legs. Gloves, a good coat and hat and you will be fine. And noise suppression earmuffs like the landscapers wear. For aftermarket hot water heaters, look into the hot rod marketplace as there are units available for a lot less $$ if you do not care about authenticity. These units all hang under the dash. Check summitracing.com or jegs.com.

Awesome Possum

Don't worry about the heat. Drove my first (heater-less) one home from Colorado to Central Texas in the winter, snow on the road, and a soft top that'd rip when you looked at it wrong. Think of the floor as a giant heat sink, and don't put mats on it. You'll be plenty warm in about an hour.
Have fun!

zeisshensoldt

Can anyone drive or haul my truck at least part of the way? I dont see myself able to afford making the long distance trip for months. I'll reimburse the driver, even a bus ticket home if desired.

Vintage iron

What? Man, you should have waited then. If you can't afford to pick it up, how are you going to afford fuel and maintenance on the truck? It is going to cost $300. bucks in fuel to get it to you, not including drive to where it is.

zeisshensoldt

I'm fully aware of the financial situation, but I would be unable to afford a 2 vehicle trip there and back. I'm saying since it would only be a one way operation I would be capable of paying the driver for gas costs and a bus ticket home if thats what he wants.

Vintage iron

I bought my truck in ST Albens Vt. and drove it back to Boston Mass. A friend drove me up. I bought gas and food, it wasn't that much. Put some oil in the truck and aired up the tires before getting on the highway. I think it cost me about $450 total to get it home. But the trip was priceless.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks