• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 no start...

Keith_J

This is a 1971 A2 LDS that shut down and would not start. No fuel to injectors, I pulled the delivery valve and center bolt, good fuel flow and plunger reciprocates with rotation.

Still no fuel delivery. Yes, I checked the delivery valve, it works. It must be the drive key. Full stroke on startup caused the final failure.

Tomorrow, I will pull the hydraulic head and see for sure. I have a spare which should work fine. If not, I will weld the key back together. Yes, I have micro-GTAW capacity. Plenty of 0.040" electrodes and 0.023" S6 filler.

Keith_J

Pulled the head, the drive key is fine BUT the button and retainer were parted from the hyd. head. Plunger was stiff so it was cleaned and moves fine. Just need to determine the correct position of the control collar and gear cover for reassembly, my computer is down so using the owner's computer.:maddawg308:

Keith_J

IT RUNS!!!! Fatigue (or beer) caused two lines to be crossed so it runs rough. That is why extra eyes (the owner) are always a great thing. I need a cool-off period until we should fix this issue.

ZERO parts needed, just wrenching and time. Two blood letting episodes too.aua

I'm going to need pressure washing to clean myself off.

Keith_J

Perfect. Sealed the timing cover and secured the injector lines. Perfection.

All it was was a nasty fuel situation which caused the plunger to seize, then the button and retainer dropped out. These engines will not run without the button between the tappet and plunger.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I hate to say it but I have had that happen too. The worst part is, the keeper kept falling off. Might want to order another from Ambac and keep it on hand for it, if it happens. I think its a $12 part.

Keith_J

The plunger was a poor fit in the bore, after cleaning, it slid perfectly in the bore.

More history on the vehicle, DRMO took the filters out and the vehicle sat for months without filtration. The control lever was stuck.

I have no question weekly running will keep this issue at bay. Thant and good fuel.

Keith_J

I am glad it got fixed yesterday. Raining pretty good today.

It sure was fun to drive it once fixed. That engine seems peppier than three years ago when I drove it from Beeville to Sinton.

TexRdnec

just ran it down the road and maybe i was imagining it but it did feel to get up and go quicker than before

ETA: not a drop of rain here though