• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 oil pressure problem

Lenny

I just got finished flushing my cooling system, a seemingly unrelated matter to this and I refilled it with water just to test it out before adding any antifreeze. I started the truck and I happened to notice the oil pressure gauge. It was sort of "wobbling" slightly around 50 pounds. In addition every once in awhile it would bury itself all the way to the left for a few seconds and then come back to normal. I ran it like this for a short time and noticed that it seemed like it would alternate between normal, wobbling, and indicating no oil pressure. If I had to guess it seems like the problem is perhaps electrical in nature because of the speed in which these aberrations take place. Also there is no apparent change in operation, idle speed noise etc during these events. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this before or has any ideas for troubleshooting it. Thanks, Lenny

dmetalmiki

That instrument (and all the others) rely on a good a earthing point behind the dash panel. So check all the instrument ground circuits before doing anything else. Then the sender unit. It is actually MUCH better to replace (all the) electric gauges with capillary gauges. (as then) what you see is what you (actually) Have.
I have all capillary gauges in my trucks with an "electrical circuit function" to sound a buzzer or a illuminate a warning light. These gauges have a permanently open or closed circuit option.

Lenny

I've never heard of "capillary" gauges before. Is this a standard analog type gauge that is also fitted with a form C isolated relay which energizes in the event of an out of bounds reading? Also if you are able can you please explain the oil pressure circuit wiring? I can picture this and please advise me if I'm wrong. I imagine that 24V is applied to one side of the sender. The other side of the sender would go to the (+) side of the gauge, (DC meter). The other side of the gauge goes to ground. Since the problem seems to be confined to just this gauge I would suspect then a hot wire rather than a ground problem. Thanks for your input. Lenny