• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 power steering options?

290smallcam

Before I get jumped on, yes I've googled and searched on here.waterloo and now Boyce Equipment offer power steering options for the M35. Both are 99% the same. Boyce offers a different pump. Boyce also states that it won't work with stock M35A2 or M35A3 wheels? Waterloo doesn't state this on their site. Is anyone running stock rim and tires without any problems? Or also running 43" with out rubbing or hitting? Wondering why Boyce states this?

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a 1971 A2 in Sept that already has power steering and super singles, 395/85R20. Don't know the manufacturer of the system but perhaps someone can ident. You can see where the tire is rubbing on the arm.
Hope this helps.IMG_2266.JPGIMG_2267.JPGIMG_2268.JPG

Senderofan

Before I get jumped on, yes I've googled and searched on here.waterloo and now Boyce Equipment offer power steering options for the M35. Both are 99% the same. Boyce offers a different pump. Boyce also states that it won't work with stock M35A2 or M35A3 wheels? Waterloo doesn't state this on their site. Is anyone running stock rim and tires without any problems? Or also running 43" with out rubbing or hitting? Wondering why Boyce states this?
I purchased the Waterloo kit this winter for my A3. The owner, Tom, has a slightly different parts list for an A3 versus an A2. If your specs are different than an OEM A3.....I'd recommend emailing or calling Tom. He answered multiple emails from me and has said he'd be available to assist my installer......should there be any questions. I would think Boyce would also provide you more detailed information and advice regarding their kit.

tommys2patrick

I think KIA, the car manufacturer we see in commercials, makes an "A3" or "A4" version of the deuce that is used in Korea? If so this could be something they use. Perhaps someone converted it from Korean parts. Otherwise, those look like fairly large tires for an A2 deuce so some rubbing would likely be expected I would think. I think some of the popular conversion kits usually involve frame modifications that inset the gear box farther into the frame requiring substantial frame reinforcement IIRC. I would imagine it has a pump higher up connected to a fan belt as well. my 2 cents. I assume you want to reduce the rubbing? Or just curious what experience others have had with power steering conversions.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an early version of the Waterloo kit on my Deuce. I LOVE it; yes, there is some tire rubbing on the Pitman arm during hard right turns, but nothing I can’t live with. The benefits far outweigh that drawback, especially with 395s on MRAP wheels. If I had to do it all over again I’d go right back to the Waterloo kit....Tom offers outstanding customer service and responsiveness to questions/issues.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Following this thread with interest, since I'm thinking hard about adding power steering to my deuce.

I can vouch for Tom's kit. Perfect on my A2.
Your signature says you have 11x20 tires. Are those on the stock A2 dished wheels?
Does the tire rub on the steering box or pitman arm?

On my deuce with the stock manual steering box mounted inside the frame, the tire comes awfully close to rubbing the pitman arm...

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Following this thread with interest, since I'm thinking hard about adding power steering to my deuce.

Your signature says you have 11x20 tires. Are those on the stock A2 dished wheels?
Does the tire rub on the steering box or pitman arm?

On my deuce with the stock manual steering box mounted inside the frame, the tire comes awfully close to rubbing the pitman arm...
11.00R20 on stock Deuce wheels and no rubbing.

290smallcam

If anyone is running 43's on any type of rim, stock or other please inform us of any tire rubbing and of how bad. It looks like if you run a <MRAP rim I think there is no rubbing, but I don't know?

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread and the 8 roundabouts I drove this weekend have me thinking about this subject again.

Though, I'm switching to new wheels and will have to wait until they're on.

290smallcam

Right! Don't want to drop $3K on steering just to rub holes in a $375 tire!😬 If waterloo's kit rubs, I'm out. Looks like the HF54 route would be better. Been looking at that forum a lot. Will need more fab work, but..... Wanting a reason to buy a power mig 180! Well let's keep this thing rolling until we get some clear answer's, Running 43" XML 's on stock split rims.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks