• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 primary filter

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've owned many M35A2s and have changed the fuel filters on them many, many times. I've only ever seen the small primary filter. However, I just changed the fuel filters on one of my newly acquired deuces last night and came across a filter that filled the entire primary filter cannister. Although the filter was about double the length of a standard primary filter, it was hollow (had sides, but no bottom) half way down...there was a bottom to the filter, but it was located in the middle of the filter (I hope this makes sense). Has anyone else ever come across this type of filter? Is this a newer style filter? Is this nothing more than the wrong filter? Just curious as I've never seen a filter like this.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I kept it so I'll clean it and reuse it again. It actually was not dirty, but I figured I'd change it anway since I was not sure it was the correct filter. Thanks for the info, Chuck.

beaubeau

Bkubu, What brand name and what # are U using for fuel filters? I have tried last week to get some, but they don't look right I have tried the 3511and3512 filters crossed to Fram orBaldwin. I don't want to take old ones out until I have replacements. But then maybe if I take them out I could get a # off them!!?? Phil

ida34

I don't think the one we are talking about is a military filter and does not cross to a civy number. Instead of a paper element it is like porous stone. I have seen fuel filters like it for older chevy small blocks.

Bruce,
Was yours paper or the stone type? The stone is the reusable but I can't remember if it was the long or the short one.

beaubeau

wELL GUYS, TOOK OUT FILTERS,fUEL, FROM THE DEUCE. bOTH FILTERS ARE THE SAME AND BOTH LOOK RIGHT AT HOME! i DON'T KNOW WHY THEY LIST DIFFERENT # FOR BOTH? tHEY ARE BOTH lONG, THE LENGTH OF THE CANISTER, dm THE caps lock"!! I shall hand carry to my supplier and get some tomorrow. Don't look like anything out of the Ordinary!!
Deuceman51, if I have any prob. I shall order a case from U. Thats a good thing U r doing! Thanks, Phil

ida34

Do you know there are three? The primary is on the front of the passenger's side frame rail near the alternator. There are two secondary filters and they are the ones that look identical on the driver's side of the engine.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bruce,

I have seen both types of filters your talking about. I dont know why they are different, but they are both MIL and would interchangably come thru the supply system when I was in.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BEAUBEAU: I try to use military filters when possible. If I don't have any, I use NAPA filters because there is a NAPA near my house. The primary filter is 3511 and the secondary/final is 3512 (this was stated above). The gaskets don't work, but I've found that you don't always have to change them. It is better to do so for obvious reasons, but most times, if you are careful, you can reuse the old ones.

Chuck: The primary filter that I removed is the stone type.

Mark: Thanks for the background. This was the first one I've come across in all the deuces that I've owned. I thought it was possibly the wrong filter. Now, I know better.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks