• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Question Front Wheel Hubs

Volfe

Greetings to all

I am new to this forum and I am sure that it has been discussed at one time, but I can't seem to locate anything with a search, so here I go posting my question. I am working on an M35A2, helping the owner rebuild the front differential assembly. I came into the project after everything was replaced, but not fully assembled. I noticed on the BACK of the Wheel Hub that there are what appears to be bolt holes (they are threaded) around the bearing and race, almost like a plate or seal bolts on to protect the inner bearing. Also the seals that are on the spindle look too small to protect and seal the bearings. I have looked through the forums here, tore through TM's on the Deuce and even what I could locate of my ETM's from my military days. No info on if something bolts there or not. I would hate to reassemble the front end, take it for a test run and discover that it is not sealed and now has to be torn down again (apparently it has been sitting for some time) So I am looking for guidance, please help, THANK YOU.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Are you referring to the threaded holes seen right outside the inner bearing race, as seen in the pic below?

Attachments

kimbilly

threaded holes in hub

It would help if you could post some pics. I just replaced all the front seals on my truck but cant picture what your saying.

Volfe

So to all that replied THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH, now on to my response. To CLINTO, yes those holes.. do you have any more info about them? As I stated, it looks like some thing bolts on, like a seal or a flange, something to protect and seal the bearings, but I have found nothing in the shop that looks like that.

DieselBob

Welcome to the site Volfe. I do know that on a standard deuce there is nothing that mounts there. I'm thinking they are used if you do a hub flip.

Volfe

Thank you, that make sense seeing as during my time in the Army, parts where made to be inter changeable. Just wanted to make sure that it was not going to be a problem during reassembly and test drive. Thanks again to all that gave advice.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....... I'm thinking they are used if you do a hub flip.
YES.... and they are un-used on the front axle hubs.

1) it is the same hub (part#) on all axles.
2) on the rear axles (with hubs flipped like on the A3) those holes are used to bolt the drum center plates in place.
3) on the A2 rear axles those are the bolt holes for the axle flange bolts.

G.

Volfe

Status update, thanks again to all that contributed, it went back together no problem and have moved on to the next part of repairs, so just wanted to say thanks again.