• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 questions

roveroverme

Banned
I was considering a 1971 M35A2 with a bad fuel pump 4.000 miles and 500 hours.. Soft top, but no top right now. Bad interior. Rusted hood and some rust on floor panels . but clean Florida title.
How much should I offer?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know the answer, but an observation: The hour meter vs speedo ratio average on my OTR tractor was about 30 MPH, even with running it all night/never shutting her down...... You can't believe the instrument readings because they were often traded out.

Does it run? I'd want to know about the brakes.

Good Luck

roveroverme

Banned
I heard it was starting with ether. But I wasn't too excited about the fact that they used Starting Fluid to get her fired up. I'll see about the brakes, apparently it's been sitting since 9 months. The truck comes with some spare parts , too. like two tanks, and the person I talked to mentioned that there could be fuel pumps in the tanks.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Oh, you don't mean the fuel pump in the tank, you mean the injection pump doesn't work. Because it should run without the in tank pump once you get fuel up to the booster pump.

So let me get this straight: No winch, no dropside, no expensive new tires, no lockouts, rusty interior, doesn't run and Bubba has been running if off of ether?

rofl. I'd offer about a grand or $1500 for it.

roveroverme

Banned
Maybe that is what they have meant. The person I talked to said it would start and run once they used Starter fluid. I assumed they wouldn't be so dumb as to constantly spray , ether in the engine to keep it running, but that it would run at that point on it's own. No Pictures , yet. No dropside, no winch, finger tires , and half of a driver seat.

FloridaAKM

I'd keep looking for a better truck considering the condition you described above. If you have to have it, a grand or so @ the max. Remember, you gotta pay to get it running before you put it on the street, not to mention the work required to make it happen. A better condition truck for more money mean less you have to do to it before you drive it on the street!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, $1k-1800. I'd shoot for 1k, make sure you find out if he has a title and if it runs on its own once started with ether.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Do you want a work in progress or a truck that you can drive now?

For around three to four grand you should be able to find a good running truck with a hard top and maybe a winch.

Be patient and the right truck will come to you.

TsgtB

I would keep looking. Take some time and look at a few and compare them...
I would personally spend a little more money and feel better about getting one that will start cold without much effort,
with some kind of top and feel better that mice haven't eaten all the wires out from under the dash....
I know I spent too much on mine with a bad motor and it COULD have put a really bad taste on the MV hobby, but I sucked that up.
But that's just me...

jatonka

Actually, If it runs and drives, and has air shift transfer, it is worth $2500 all day. Axles.$1500 Transfer, $500, engine, $1000, then cab, box, fenders, hood, etc,etc,. They don't make these trucks anymore.

Jeepsinker

If you can get it for $1800 or less, you can at the very least part it out, scrap what is left, and double your money. If it has a bad injector pump you can probably get a good takeoff pump for $600 and get the truck running. I would bet money that it just has plugged fuel filters though, or at worst the button popped of the bottom of the hydraulic head.