• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 questions

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Actually, If it runs and drives, and has air shift transfer, it is worth $2500 all day. Axles.$1500 Transfer, $500, engine, $1000, then cab, box, fenders, hood, etc,etc,. They don't make these trucks anymore.
John, I wish I could get those numbers. Maybe I need to come up to NY and peddle some parts!

rustystud

The problem is trying to salvage any useable parts off a truck which has been this severely treated. The differentials more then likely have water in them and low oil and are all rusted up. The trany and transfer case have more then likely been run with little or no oil. Can you say "bad gears" . I would never trust an engine that has been repeatedly started with ether (Gas or especially Diesel) . Scrap value is all I would give for it. Then hope I could find some usable parts to use.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Having parted out a lot of deuces (Lord please forgive me and bless all the Pygmies in the Congo) I can tell you that it takes a while to get your money out of a parts truck. The rock crawlers used to buy the Rockwells all day long but some of them have found other axles that they like better. I schlepped parts to a lot of rallies trying to pimp them off and a lot of it ended up at the scrapper when I just got tired of fooling with it. A lot of people have moved up to the 900 series 5 tons and the market for deuce parts is cyclic. Your mileage may vary. No possums were injured in the making of this post. :wreckerman893:

roveroverme

Banned
So if I wind up buying the truck for $1800 and decide it's too much to handle. Are you guys going to buy it from me for my cost? They said they ran the truck once, and it stayed running with a squirt of starting fluid. They confirmed that the tank fuel pump is the issue. They says they don't know about the brakes. But that the truck comes with FL title and a canvas, plus a lot of spare parts.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am looking for one that I can maybe work on or sell the way I got it, for the monies I'd have spent.
The green machine disease is a hobby with none of the costs being "deductions".
One should not buy a large tactical military vehicle and take it out on the road until proper systems functions are verified.
One needs a place to fix the truck with the time, tools, and money to repair all that you will find wrong. Brakes, gears, tires, boots, pumps, lubricants, PM's, wires, air and fuel systems take a lot of time and effort when one is alone, no soldier "B".
You may be able to hold expenses down to $2000 the first year to be able to drive it around some.
I am old and opinionated and now I have said my piece but the members here are the best, take the advice they give.
PM me for phone number, I am just down the road in 33334.

mikey

The #1 question is how much to you trust the sellers diagnostics when it comes to your money?

If it becomes too much to handle, then you'll be lucky t get scrap value from a member here. Right now you are buying the "unknown", which is why I said $2k. It's a gamble. You could replace the in tank pump, bleed the brakes, fire her up and she's a strong runner. If you get it home and find major problems, then the condition is "known" and if it's "too much to handle", then it's worth scrap to me.

I personally would only buy a questionable deuce knowing that it could wind up as just a parts truck. Too many things could go wrong and it might just not be worth the cost of getting it running. However, as a parts truck, $1,500 would not be unreasonable. I bought my last parts truck w/w for $2k and I pick from it all the time.

So, if you're willing to take the chance that it could be a strong runner with little investment, that's your call and $1800 is fair. If you think it might be a lawn ornament that you pick from over the next 5 years, then offer him scrap.

Mikey

TsgtB

I have over $9K invested in mine...
paid $5500, spent about $4000 to get a new engine in it...
I will never get out near what I have invested...
but its for "me".. some people buy one, make it pretty and try to get $20-50,000 or MORE on it....
CRAZY.
I may spend another $5000 to get wheels, tires, and a few other things on mine.
Just "my numbers".... others have spent much more, and some have great luck on a $1500 rig....
your mileage may vary...

roveroverme

Banned
I have over $9K invested in mine...
paid $5500, spent about $4000 to get a new engine in it...
I will never get out near what I have invested...
but its for "me".. some people buy one, make it pretty and try to get $20-50,000 or MORE on it....
CRAZY.
I may spend another $5000 to get wheels, tires, and a few other things on mine.
Just "my numbers".... others have spent much more, and some have great luck on a $1500 rig....
your mileage may vary...
That's not how I want to do my purchase.

TsgtB

trust me... that's not how I wanted to do it either...
but you can never be sure...
it may look GREAT, and never even make it home.
I was very frustrated, and after finding out that something had been "fixed" and then
"fixed again".... and all. I didn't want to "fix" it again. I just bit my tongue and put a new motor in it....
But guess what... I FIXED it.

TsgtB

to be fair, I COULD have gone with a pulled out motor for much less.
I could have had a buddy put it in for me for a few bucks and some drinks...
(but I've seen my "buddies" mechanical skills, so I rented a lift and did it myself, with a depot rebuild engine)
The mechanics are low tech, stuff is just VERY heavy.
a normal engine hoist wont do, everything is "bigger", but it is an enjoyable hobby.
Everyone on here is very helpful, but people all have their own opinions on where to spend the money and where to save some....
If I'm doing "heart surgery", i'm not going to the thrift store for parts.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also consider the costs and time to bone it out if that is what you end up doing. I've parted out deuces with and without a crane. Without a crane absolutely sucks. Saving the major parts I could likely pare it down to basic parts in a weekend with a wrecker. Another issue I encountered was getting rid of a stack of deuce tires. They don't go away easily. Sell them as tire swings I guess.

TsgtB

I pass on everything if someone says they have another offer... Realtors pull that crap, and its fun to see them "back peddle".
Especially on something that has been sitting for a while, then "all of the sudden" there are other offers.. no thanks.

steelandcanvas

So that truck with the other offer sold for more money. I went to look at it and also the other two M35.
I'll upload the pictures for your consideration . Was $1800 still too much money for it?
I see lots of asthetic issues, the question will receive a more accurate answer when you get it running. In the mean time, lose that big chrome mirror.