• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Registarion in Connecticut

RECONJON

No, in ct you can get a very inexpensive insurance policy and non commerce commercial plates. Avoid dot # and all that comes with it, headaches. If you are seasoned enough you can get the early American plates, cheaper. If you want to do any business in your truck, only expensive insurance and commercial plates with lots of hoops to jump through.
Ma is similar but 25 yes for seasoned, no non commerce option.

Good luck.

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, in ct you can get a very inexpensive insurance policy and non commerce commercial plates. Avoid dot # and all that comes with it, headaches. If you are seasoned enough you can get the early American plates, cheaper. If you want to do any business in your truck, only expensive insurance and commercial plates with lots of hoops to jump through.
Ma is similar but 25 yes for seasoned, no non commerce option.

Good luck.

Do American plates allow one to drive their vehicle whenever they want (not for commercial use, but maybe going out to eat)? Or are they like MA where you can only use them for parades of getting them fixed?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The first good thing about reg as a camper is it is exempt from all the nhtsa fed regs no cdl required. In CT the statute states:
(14) "Commercial motor vehicle" meansa vehicle designed or used to transport passengers or property, except avehicle used for farming purposes in accordance with 49 CFR 383.3(d), firefighting apparatus or an emergency vehicle, as defined in section 14-283, or arecreational vehicle in private use, which (A) has a gross vehicle weightrating of twenty-six thousand and one pounds or more, or a gross combinationweight rating of twenty-six thousand and one pounds or more, inclusive of atowed unit or units with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than tenthousand pounds; (B) is designed to transport sixteen or more passengers, includingthe driver, or is designed to transport more than ten passengers, including thedriver, and is used to transport students under the age of twenty-one years toand from school; or (C) is transporting hazardous materials and is required tobe placarded in accordance with 49 CFR 172, Subpart F, as amended, or anyquantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73;
So a 5 ton in personal use would not be a commercial vehicle under CT statute. Now the camper definition from the statutes:
(10) "Camper" means any motor vehicledesigned or permanently altered in such a way as to provide temporary living quarters fortravel, camping or recreational purposes.
Sounds like a 5 ton with a cargo cover could provide temporary living quarters for camping when I was in the Marines they sure did I have pictures to prove it.
And straight from the CT DMV website:
[h=3]Vehicles Exempt from CDL[/h]
Below listed are those vehicles that are exempt from the requirements of a commercial driver's license:​

• Vehicles used for farming purposes (within 150 miles of the farm ).
  • Fire fighting apparatus.
  • Authorized emergency vehicles.
  • Recreational vehicles.
  • Military vehicles operated by military personnel.

The camper statute combines campers with recreational vehicles I dont think there is a difference anyways. There are no federal airbrake endorsement requirements. Regardless of the vehicle size or weight. Some states have airbrake statutes CT does not and if you were to pass thru one of those states I believe they are bound by reciprocity of registration.
Will

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know about CT but in NY on a A3 , the year of the vehicle is the ORIGINAL date of manufacture , NOT the rebuild date . Look over your truck on the RIGHT front frame and see if you can find a original date , mine came back as a 67 , HX plates . The problem is most DMV people have NO clue when it comes to MV's and what and where to look . BTW not to get into a long drawn out thing , GL is probably selling most of this MV stuff wrong , but that is another story !

martinwcox

Do American plates allow one to drive their vehicle whenever they want (not for commercial use, but maybe going out to eat)? Or are they like MA where you can only use them for parades of getting them fixed?
The MA rules are not that restrictive:
An “antique motor car” is any motor vehicle over twenty-five years old maintained solely for use in exhibitions, club
activities, parades, and other functions of public interest. This includes test drives to prepare for such functions and
transportation to and from repair facilities, and not used primarily for the transportation of passengers or goods over any
way. A motorcycle is eligible for an Antique registration plate.

I have my M35A2, M923 and M936 all with Antique plates, I tried to register my Tank but they said, NO!, go figure.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
In CT there are no restrictions for the early american plate but there are no weight exemptions so you may need a cdl to drive it and if you go out of state you will be at their mercy. Camper is the way to go.

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The MA rules are not that restrictive:
An “antique motor car” is any motor vehicle over twenty-five years old maintained solely for use in exhibitions, club
activities, parades, and other functions of public interest. This includes test drives to prepare for such functions and
transportation to and from repair facilities, and not used primarily for the transportation of passengers or goods over any
way. A motorcycle is eligible for an Antique registration plate.

I have my M35A2, M923 and M936 all with Antique plates, I tried to register my Tank but they said, NO!, go figure.

Thanks for the info. I did not realize it could be driven if it does not "and not used primarily for the transportation of passengers or goods over any
way."

I assume that means it can be used for driving around town.

Suprfknman - Did the registering the 5 ton as an RV work?

NCBPhantom

Would most of this information still be relevant? I was thinking about buying an LMTV here in CT and registering for non commercial use. Mostly recreational use I believe. Though I do have a great friend who has a farm and wouldn't mind registering it as a farm vehicle since CT doesn't have restrictions on farm use plates like most other states. I do realize I am in a M35 thread and don't want to cause no trouble if this is deemed off topic.