• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Stalled, No Restart

SierraHotel

After sitting the winter, we were getting The Deuce ready for Memorial Day parades, etc. Removed the batteries, charged them and started it up. Went for a test drive and it stalled while coasting to a stop sign. Would not restart. Went home, got new primary and secondary filters, replaced them and could not get fuel to the secondary/final bleeder. Put 10 gallons of diesel into the tank (gauge registered quarter tank, but you never know). and turned on the pump to fill the secondary/final canisters. Finally got fuel through the bleeder after several minutes and started the engine after a bit of cranking. After about 7 miles, the engine quit again and would not restart. I've searched the forum for similar issues, and found many a scary horror story...I was hoping that this might ring a bell with someone with a better thought than one of the horror stories and something I was just to inept to find in my searches. Other than a ground issue awhile back, the engine has always fun fine.

jasonjc

I'd say start at the fuel tank. Check out the in tank fuel pump and the hose on the pump. Pull the hose off and look thought it. The bottom of the pump has a plate that is know to come off. Check the fuel line that goes between the primary on the frame under the alt. and the secondarys on the engine. Its know to get smashed where it goes across the front cross member.

SierraHotel

I was hoping to avoid that (major surgery of little parts) as it is on the side of the road and lil' parts tend to go walking away from me. I'm hoping that it is algae/slim in the fuel from sitting and changing the primary again will at least get it the last two miles to somewhere I can reasonably work on it and not worry about it getting towed. I looked at it this morning and found slime on the in-tank screen and then went to NAPA to get some more filters. I've got the primary changed out (it had a bit of slime) and am waiting for the batteries to charge back up before I prime it and try again. If slime is the problem, I'll live with it (and the dumping the 1/2 tank of diesel...sigh)...that would be much preferred to tinkering with the little parts that go sproing.

Thanks for the responses.

dmetalmiki

Don't waste the fuel, strain it. And check that in tank pump filter, it may be clogged. Once primed the deuces do not generally need the in tank pump running all the time. But the fuel must be able to be drawn through the screen.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you've got algae in your fuel, add some Biocide to kill it off, and run it through a filter to clean & reuse it.

SierraHotel

Changed the primary again (didn't look all that bad) and...sigh...1 battery...sigh...and finally got it started. Drove it for another mile and it quit. Well, it was off the main highway now. Hooked up some rope to the Sierra and towed it the last two miles (some extra money will go in the collection plate because nothing got bent or worse). Its now in its usual spot closer to all my tools and odds/ends. Probably algae (or whatever in the tank)...although its not nearly as bad as some I've seen on here that are downright apocalyptic. Got a pump and in-line (glass) filter on order with 3 extra filers to drain the tank. Anyone have any good experience with cleaning the algae (or whatever) from the tank? From what I've read, even acetone won't affect the stuff.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have heard that gasoline is good at killing it. And deuces can tolerate some gasoline...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Dump the tank, use it as weed killer.

Its not worth the hassle. You probably got water from condensation and now have fungus growing. Chuck it all(including the fuel filter cans) and put new diesel in the tank, new filters, bleed, and start. If your lucky you won't have to swap any more filters, but I'd carry a set just in case.

Having bio-sludge in your tank is a big pita.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi, my name is John and I've had algae in a deuce fuel tank.

(and the group says: "Hi, John!")

After searching and researching these forums about the problem, I replaced all three fuel filters, scrubbed and 'disinfected' the filter cans with carb cleaner, and added SEAFOAM (available at most auto parts stores - but found the BEST PRICE at WALMART) to the fuel tank. I added the SEAFOAM to the highest recommended concentration AND added it again with the with the next fill-up.

RESULT: the fuel system has remained FREE OF ALGAE for months and months now!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

"The program works if you work the program."

SierraHotel

Finally got the pump, filters, adapters, etc to pump the fuel out of the tank. Worked great until the last 5% of fuel when the diesel napalm clogged the filter leading to the pump. Well at least I know know why it quit running and the filters didn't look all that bad. Wonder if diesel napalm will stick to Hobbits?
Now that I picked the scab (pulled the fuel tank), I guess I'll have to scrape and pain it (sigh). The burlap for the top strap was pretty much gone...I'll probably replace it with roofing rubber (EPDM).
Why the **** aren't the fuel companies putting biocides into their diesel? It looks like this is a significant problem in storage tanks.

Diesel Sludge 001.jpgDiesel Sludge 002.jpgDiesel Sludge 003.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

Finally got the pump, filters, adapters, etc to pump the fuel out of the tank. Worked great until the last 5% of fuel when the diesel napalm clogged the filter leading to the pump. Well at leas I know know why it quit running and the filters didn't look all that bad. Wonder if diesel napalm will stick to Hobbits?
No that I picked the scab (pulled the fuel tank), I guess I'll have to scrape and pain it (sigh). The burlap for the top strap was pretty much gone...I'll probably replace it with roofing rubber (EPDM).
Why the **** aren't the fuel companies putting biocides into their diesel? It looks like this is a significant problem in storage tanks.

View attachment 628438View attachment 628439View attachment 628440
Get fuel tank strap isolators. Big trucks use them to protect the aluminum tanks. They fit around the metal straps.

003.jpg

The King Machine

Finally got the pump, filters, adapters, etc to pump the fuel out of the tank. Worked great until the last 5% of fuel when the diesel napalm clogged the filter leading to the pump. Well at least I know know why it quit running and the filters didn't look all that bad. Wonder if diesel napalm will stick to Hobbits?
Now that I picked the scab (pulled the fuel tank), I guess I'll have to scrape and pain it (sigh). The burlap for the top strap was pretty much gone...I'll probably replace it with roofing rubber (EPDM).

View attachment 628438View attachment 628439View attachment 628440

That deserves the "congressional metal of ugly"

Rafterman- Full metal jacket

FloridaAKM

That looks like the filters/pump that I had to clean out from a Deuce from WRAFB in Georgia. I never had seen such a load of dirt, slime & debris in a filter canister system till I changed the filters after getting home. Lesson learned from that one when Murphy was else where! Good to hear that you are running now!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks