• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 starting issues

mooresM35A2

Having trouble getting an m35a2 to start. I'm getting high pressure fuel up to the injectors. We had the head off of the injection pump and made sure the button was in place on bottom of head. Little bit of white smoke coming out of exhaust while cranking.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not too much uptake on your question....
If you put this line into your Google search field, you get a number of good threads to get started (no pun intended!) :
M35A2 no start site:steelsoldiers.com

A diesel just needs air, fuel and compression to start and run. You may be getting fuel (good) but is it enough and is it being delivered at the correct time? A stuck engine shutoff is happening quite frequently and a relatively easy fix. Members reported that taking the shutoff cover off and blasting the innards with WD40 worked really well for them, while working the shutoff rod. Hydraulic head (HH) is always a suspect...you already checked the infamous bottom clip; the threads will tell you to also check the movement of the centre plunger while cranking.

Last edited:

mooresM35A2

Right on. We were just kind of stumped. We checked the plunger movement with the engine cranking and it moves freely. I didnt try dousing the inside of the pump with spray lube, ill have to try it next time im at the shop.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Often, once the hyd head has been off, the motors need a whiff of ether to get going again. Once that is done, you should be able to start/stop normally.

rustystud

Often, once the hyd head has been off, the motors need a whiff of ether to get going again. Once that is done, you should be able to start/stop normally.
I've noticed that also. I think there is trapped air pockets in the Hydraulic Head. I know the system is suppose to be self-purging but I think on some model injection pumps it's more of a problem then others. Once it fires off and starts to get high pressure fuel all the little air pockets go away.
I kind of reminds me of bleeding brakes. You can bleed a brake system all day long but sometimes you cannot get all the air out. It just takes time for the air bubbles to work themselves up and out. I think this happens to the injection pumps too. At least that's my theory .

Last edited:

mooresM35A2

I forgot to mention also that this truck sat with bio diesel in it for years before I got to it. Would it be possible for the injectors to be so gummed up that there is no atomized fuel being shot into the cylinder?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I forgot to mention also that this truck sat with bio diesel in it for years before I got to it. Would it be possible for the injectors to be so gummed up that there is no atomized fuel being shot into the cylinder?
Doubtful.

Sounds to me like maybe you should go through the fuel system. Maybe start by loosening the injector lines at the injectors and turn her over. If you get fuel there, I'd pull the injectors and have them tested/rebuilt.

In your first post you said you had some white exhaust which sounds to me like the cyls are just not firing. Does the motor spin slow while cranking? If it doesn't spin fast enough, it won't light off either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks