• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Starting Problem

VETERN1

Hi there
I'm not only new to the site I'm also new to mv's...I have a 1968 M35A2 that I just picked up and it won't start. It has been sitting for about a year and ran when parked supposedly. I towed it home with my bobbed 1967 m35a2 and with new batteries it just cranks...I sprayed it with starting fluid and it just basicly ran off the either not the diesel. I have been reading the questions on this site (which is an amazing site) and I know this problem probably has occurred before, so I ordered a TM and fuel filters tonight and I will replace those when they come in this week. My question is...Is there something I can check or test until my manual and filters get to me? I live in Washington State and it's about 50 degrees out when I was trying to start it. Any advise or direction would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

welldigger

Start by turning on the master power switch and cracking the bleeder on top of the secondary fuel filters. You should have a steady stream of fuel coming out. If you don't then your in tank pump isn't functioning. Which means your fuel system has lost prime. If the pump isn't running pull the cover on the fuel tank and check the fuse. If it is blown you need a 7amp slow blow fuse.

If the in tank pump is functioning the next thing to check is the fuel control rod in the injector pump. Follow the engine kill cable to a cover on the side of the injector pump. It should have 2 screws holding it on. Take those out and pop the cover off. There you will find the fuel control rod. At this point it should be vertical. You should be able to push the bottom towards the firewall and when you release the rod it should snap back to vertical. If it doesn't wiggle it and see if it frees up. If it doesn't you may have to remove it and clean it. Change the o ring if you remove it.

Report back with what you find and we will go from there.

VETERN1

Welldigger....THANK YOU!!!! Wow very cool! She is alive. Thank you so much for your expert spot on advise...My wife thought I knew what I was doing when she heard her fire off lol...I did tell her it was a members advise from this wonderful site. I did as you said and power on and cracked bleeder and a stream of fuel shot out, so I went to the next step and removed the cover and the fuel control rod wouldn't move at all with very little pressure it broke free towards the firewall and then sprung back freely. After that I buttoned her up and she fired right up...I ran her for about a half hr and all gauges work and looked good. She just needs the brakes checked out and she will be good for a trip down the road. Thanks again!!

VETERN1

I wanted to pick you brain one more time... Not sure if I'm supost to start a new thread or not, but you were very helpful. I was just wondering when I parked both trucks yesterday on my property I noticed that my bobbed deuce (in Neutral) will tach out at 2200 as if it hits the governor and the other deuce will go to 2700 rpm and hit the governor. I do know the deuce that hits 2700 rpm has the whistler turbo in it and the other one doesn't, and I don't know if that make the difference or could it just be that the governor in one truck is either wore out or just set up to a higher rpm? I'm just trying to learn as much as I can and do the repairs myself to be more familiar with the trucks. Thanks again.

ATPTac

That could simply be a clogged fuel system. Replace all 3 fuel filters if you haven't done so yet (I know you said you ordered some). That is typically the first step in fixing running issues from what I've seen. Also wouldn't hurt to make sure you have fresh diesel in the tank. When we got ours it ran fine but was pretty sluggish on hills, once we pulled the fuel filters and replaced them it helped a decent amount. I wouldn't say it was a night and day difference, but you could definitely tell it was pulling stronger.

There is most definitely someone on here who can help better diagnose your issue than me, I'm just going off experience and what I've seen from quite a few other people.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[QUOTE=VETERN1 or just set up to a higher rpm?

Yes no load could be set higher.
If it goes there no load but not with load look into fuel delivery problem. IE filters and such

Last edited:

welldigger

Man I'm going to be honest I don't think its as simple as turning the rpm's up. Could be but thats not my experience. Start with changing your fuel filters and making sure the in tank pump is functioning. Your truck is either starving for fuel or the governor is off for whatever reason.

VETERN1

Ok cool! I have the new filters coming in this week and I will also drain both trucks and put fresh diesel in both as I have no idea how old the fuel is or if there is water in the fuel. Thx guys! I'm trying to read and learn as much as I can...It's funny because I hate to read unless it's something that I have an interest in and WOW! I have mv fever...I'm trying to read and learn as if I have a test coming up lol, and searching for more mv's to buy. What an addiction!! Is this behavior normal? lol

VETERN1

I will change them when they come in, but which truck would be off? the one that is hitting 2200 or the one that goes to 2700? Both Tank pumps are making noise, which I'm assuming working correctly.

ATPTac

Ok cool! I have the new filters coming in this week and I will also drain both trucks and put fresh diesel in both as I have no idea how old the fuel is or if there is water in the fuel. Thx guys! I'm trying to read and learn as much as I can...It's funny because I hate to read unless it's something that I have an interest in and WOW! I have mv fever...I'm trying to read and learn as if I have a test coming up lol, and searching for more mv's to buy. What an addiction!! Is this behavior normal? lol
Yes, its normal. I'm not a big reader myself and have probably logged hundreds upon hundreds of hours on this forum reading. You've most definitely come down with green fever. I'm not sure how you want to break it to your loved ones... that's for you to figure out. :driver:

Back on topic though. Once you get your fuel filters replaced, make sure you bleed the fuel system again (as welldigger said in his first post), otherwise you'll be back in the no start boat again.

ATPTac

I will change them when they come in, but which truck would be off? the one that is hitting 2200 or the one that goes to 2700? Both Tank pumps are making noise, which I'm assuming working correctly.
The low RPM would be off. And just because they're making noise doesn't mean they're working. If you turn the power on and crack the bleeder and get a steady stream of fuel, that's a safe bet the in tank pump is working.

welldigger

800/850 idle rpm and 2600/2700 max rpm. Typically they are set at 2650. This gives you a 150 rpm over run from 2500 which is about redline. The governor will start cutting fuel back about 100 to 150 rpm before it will shut the fuel down completely at max rpm. The 150 rpm over run gives you max power at 2500. Whereas if the max rpm was set at 2500 then the fuel would cut back at 2350 and not allow full power to redline.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If he used the bobed Deuce to tow it home and had no problems I would think the filters are fine. I have been wrong before. To raise the Gov. You must look at the pisition of the throttel shaft very close. Take a pic or mark it. Now take off the throttel shaft carefully. Now you will see a tin plate. Remove that plate and behind there is the low speed and high speed set screws. If I rember it is the rear one that controls High idle. Adjust that one till the no load is 2650. You should make shure the motor is good and warm all fluids up to temp. before you do it.

Did you find the TM troubleshooting the 465. That covers this and more.

Last edited:

welldigger

If he used the bobed Deuce to tow it home and had no problems I would think the filters are fine. I have been wrong before. To raise the Gov. You must look at the pisition of the throttel shaft very close. Take a pic or mark it. Now take off the throttel shaft carefully. Now you will see a tin plate. Remove that plate and behind there is the low speed and high speed set screws. If I rember it is the rear one that controls High idle. Adjust that one till the no load is 2650. You should make shure the motor is good and warm all fluids up to temp. before you do it.
This. Not that it will hurt to change the filters but I'd be surprised if that fixes the problem.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just looked at the TM an correction I believe you can drop that tin plate without removing the throttel arm. It's been so long and Im not crazy im just a little unwell.

Last edited:

VETERN1

Thank guys for all the advise! Yes the bobbed deuce towed home the other one about 60 miles and this was my first road trip in this deuce ( or any deuce ever) and it did cut out about 3-4 times like it wasn't getting fuel...It did it when I was truck only not towing and a few more on the way home so I just feathered the peddle and made it home. I ordered the fuel filters for both trucks and was more concerned on getting the new one running. I'm not sure what pumps are on the trucks I can check in the daylight. I did notice the one that didn't run has the white motor with the C turbo on it and the bobbed deuce has the Hercules motor with the d turbo. I don't know if those difference have anything to do with it. Again thanks for all the help and advise!

welldigger

Start by pulling the primary fuel filter under the alternater. Thats where most of the really nasty gunk in the fuel will collect. That will let you know what your up against.