• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 still on U.S. active duty?

SEAFIRE

Was in San Antonio for a bit, Yesterday I saw some nice "fresh painted look" solid green M35A2's with woodland camo covers on Military Drive near Lackland AFB towing what looked like M105 trailers. The drivers had on the digital uniforms with yellow ear muffs, I couldn't tell what branch of the Military though....

I thought the M35A2 was completely retired from active military?

Anyway for you Texas VFD's / Govt Agencies the San Antonio DRMO has some M35A2's again, three real nice complete 1985 M35A2C's, two have winches.

If they don't sell within a set period of time, they will be put up for public auction at the Texas Facilities Commission on Ackerman Road in San Antonio.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Likely Air Force deuces? The worst of the fleet has been trickling out of GL-Ft. Sam for years now.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the past is any indication of the future, they will probably be trickling out for another decade. It is almost as if Uncle Sam has no idea where everything is. I have seen M123 tractors come out in the last 5-8 years when they were supposed to be out of inventory in the 90s. Also, I saw some of the M211/M135 vintage trucks come out in the last 10 years! Still, it is really cool to hear that they are still using these trucks.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove past a M35 and a M36 in a motorpool on Fort Gordon everyday from 6/2011-6/2013. They didn't move during my entire tour, but they were still owned by uncle.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There were some on static duty when I was doing my Med Retirement at Fort Benning in 2007. They were using them for mount/dismount practice next to a Basic Training unit out at Sand Hill. They were in fairly decent shape them (even had batteries and fuel in them) but if they are still there they are prob in bad shape. My guess is that there are hundreds of them stashed around installations that aren't being turned in due to funding. I was stationed at Fort Benning in 1985 there were still Gamma Goats, M37's and M151's all over the base in various stages of decay. A lot of them ended up on the firing ranges as targets.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It's funny this is brought up.

When I moved to where I live now (in 2005), the local NG unit had a parking lot full of Deuces, 3 of which had mounted M66's.

Now it's all MTV's. And every time I drive past, I cry. I mean, it's so sad. The Huey's are gone, the F-14's are gone and now the deuces are gone. :cry:

Clintogf just looks at me during all this and say I am a psychpath-the only thing that makes me cry is dead dogs and gone deuces. :cookoo:

At least we've got a motorpool of 9 or 10 of them here to compensate.

np2ij

I have had my former Air Force deuce for just over a year. i don't think it was out of the service a year before i bought it.
it's an '89 in service until maybe '11 or '12. love the green hardware..

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey np2ij, post your truck info in the USAF Deuce Registry thread.

iatractor

My cousin said they had one over in Afghanistan, but he wasn't sure if it was shipped over with a unit and took a hit or something scrounged up out of a boneyard from the days of the CIA/Mujahadein/Northern Alliance days. Said it was in pretty tough shape, no glass, beat to a pulp, but it still ran. About all they did with it was haul junk around the base.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks