• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 tandem axle stuck!

sbredhold1

So I know the rear axle's are designed to "walk" however my middle axle will not center/allign back up. I have tried the drive straight trick and multiple forceful methods but none seem to get it back in allign. The driver side is stuck like I am making a left hand turn with that wheel being closer to the rear most wheel and the passenger side is closer to my fuel tank, spread with the most distance between tye rearost wheel. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

dmetalmiki

Measure the gaps at the spring brackets, That will give an idea what is going on. Check T.M.9-2320-211-20-3-2. para. 16-12 (frame 2) thro to frame 7. the adjustent and or servicing of the bearings and tightning of same. Keep us informed.

FLYWHEEL

Measure the gaps at the spring brackets, That will give an idea what is going on. Check T.M.9-2320-211-20-3-2. para. 16-12 (frame 2) thro to frame 7. the adjustent and or servicing of the bearings and tightning of same. Keep us informed.
I have been reading up on this but never thought to look in the 5 ton TM'S, seems to be much more info here than in the 2 1/2 ton TM'S. I take it that they are almost an identical set up?

tucker79

Same general set up but bigger. I believe the dogbones are a bit longer on 5 tons cause 53in tires fit 5ts but not deuces. So I dont think the measurements from 5t TM will help, could be wrong but it sounds like something is obviously tweeked. Look to see how much leaf spring is sitting on the axle perches the springs should be flush with the ends
20151015_133723.jpg20151015_133748.jpg20151015_133927.jpg20151015_134051.jpgTook a few pics of my 5 ton dont have a duese Yet

brianp454

I would check the dog bones first and then look for anything else that is loose. Is everything tight and proper under there?

You should also check your Trunnion if you haven't already. If you search here you will find a good thread on it. Pull those stamped sheet metal caps in pic 2 and see if the bearings or bushings are damaged.

If you search here, JATONKA. and others you will find a load of TMs. Download them to a safe place and get them organized. You will need them.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been reading up on this but never thought to look in the 5 ton TM'S, seems to be much more info here than in the 2 1/2 ton TM'S. I take it that they are almost an identical set up?
There's a lot of Deuce TM's! When viewing the Deuce TM forum, go to Page 2 (very easy to miss) and open the thread created by Admin titled "TM's for the Deuce":
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?77607-TM-s-for-the-Deuce

There's tens-of-thousands of electronic pages in those links!

But I wish I had the knowledge to help you with your problem :(

Last edited:

FLYWHEEL

-
There's a lot of Deuce TM's! When viewing the Deuce TM forum, go to Page 2 (very easy to miss) and open the thread created by Admin titled "TM's for the Deuce":
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?77607-TM-s-for-the-Deuce

There's tens-of-thousands of electronic pages in those links!

But I wish I had the knowledge to help you with your problem :(
Hi Valance.
Sorry for the confusion but it is sbredhold1 that has the problem with his truck and not me,
I was just commenting on another members quote about this problem, I am always reading the TM's about these trucks, to improve my knowledge,
This site and its members are a mine full off information for anyone who owns one of these vehicles.Many thanks

sbredhold1

So I'm at the truck and checking all the helpful ideas out. I have found that 5 out of 6 of the "dog bones" are right around 22 inches from bolt center to bolt center. Well... the side that is closer together (drivers side) has one lower bone on the middle axle that is completely different in apperance and measures 20 3/4 from bolt center to bolt center. Is this correct or do I need to be looking for a replacement dog bone?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is not correct! All 6 need to be exactly the same length, 22 inches C-C.

I wonder where that odd one came from and how it even ended there...?:-?

G.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best to post a want-ad in our classifieds. They are everywhere and cheap, ever since people are bobbing their trucks.

G.

brianp454

I went out and measured my truck even though I thought it would be a waste of time. To start with, the lower dog bones and brackets are the same or mirror images if you look at it from the other angle. All of the lowers would have to be exactly the same length or something would be crooked. The same is true with the uppers as they are colinear with the center of the axle housing.

I measured them anyway, all 22 inches on the money and appear the same.

I'm curious to see a pic of the odd dog bone. If you want to be super thorough, look at the TM's with the NSN\PN of each dog bone; bet they are the same. The suggestion to find someone local that does bobbers is a solid one. If you go to NAPA they have the correct size rod end separator for about $50. I found it to be invaluable for getting those things apart.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks