• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 tires / wheel combo

ToddJK

I forgot to ask, are you planning on changing the speedo out as well? I didn't change mine out since it was done already, but if not, it'll be off and you'll be going faster than your speedometer says you are.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't think the run flats will be too rough honestly. I have them in mine. I can tell they are in there, but it's not enough to bother me in the slightest. I would still get a spare, at least the tire itself, maybe a used one. I wanted to get one but my old lady freaked out on me over $100 because nether of us are working since we just had the baby.
If you had a "spare", like you said, how would you or who would change it? Well, at 500#/tire, you'll need some type of lift or contraption to put in and remove the spare. If you have one at home, worst case scenario, you leave your truck on the side of the road and use a pick up with the help of a friend to bring the flat back home and put the spare tire on the rim and go back to the truck. That is if the run flat was destroyed. Eventually I'd like to put a winch, a small one in the back of my truck mounted to some steel brackets that can be bolted through the bed and ideally into the frame. Then taking out and putting those big tires in the back won't be as bad.
Well, just remember when you get these new tires - eventually the old ones have to go somewhere. The city or county landfill won't take them. Can't drop them off at your local tire store without spending money.

I found a neighbor of a friend who wanted "one of those big tires" to exercise with. So, come Saturday I am delivering a 395/20 to his house. Nobody on that street has a pickup truck - so delivery was the only way. Works for me though. Now I have a reason to go for a cruise through the neighborhood!

bprzyw

Yeah, probably a good idea to have one sitting around just in case. I’m getting the same slack over buying things for the truck, lol. Congrats on the new baby!!! Love that new baby smell! You should’ve seen my truck bringing them home, if it could cry it was!! For a 2500hd with 1.6 tons in it it did well. Some kinda crane/winch setup would be nice.
Still deciding wether or not to build the adapters with a friend or buy them. Steel is crazy expensive but he can laser cut them then chamfer the holes. The guy I got the tires from has 1/2 sheet of 1/2” plate. He can have his buddy water jet the plates from it, since he has no use for it. IDK… I can go with western Canadian Rockwell, but they have spotty reviews…. Then get bolts/nuts/washers from McMaster Carr….. I just want them on NOW! Still have to replace freeze plugs and top end gaskets. Don’t want to start brakes until I have my tires ready to mount.

bprzyw

I forgot to ask, are you planning on changing the speedo out as well? I didn't change mine out since it was done already, but if not, it'll be off and you'll be going faster than your speedometer says you are.
Not sure yet. I understand the difference but not that far along to worry about it right now.

bprzyw

He has a sweet M715 going to be for sale soon. Has the 395’s, MRAP wheels, adapter plates. Small block Chevy.
No rot no rust, unbelievable shape. He said I can have first dibs on it.

ToddJK

Thanks for the congrats! I think it's a good idea to hang onto the old NDT's, just never know if you'd need them or maybe another fellow SS member not too far away might buy them from you, just never know. That's cool about the M715. Maybe snap a photo or two of it when you can.
Another thing to think of, since you're waiting to do the tires, maybe pop all the NDT's off and have the truck on jack stands. Have it lower to the ground and that would make working on the top end of the motor easier this way you won't have to hop up and down everytime. It will get tiring real fast, especially when you need to get one tool or something like that. It gets worse with the 395's. My foot can't even reach the bumper step vs the NDT's so I use a step ladder. At least when you get all the top end work done and the brakes, get them new tires on, it's gonna feel like a whole new truck again! Just wait until you can comfortably cruise at 55mph!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks