• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 tires

brainsboy

My 900x20 tires are pretty old on my truck so Im thinking about getting new tires. The problem is that I can't decied which tires to go with. Right now at about 2200RPM Im running around 52mph. I want to get a little more speed out of the truck so I was thinking about going with the titan 1100X20's. I have been told they add about 4-5mph, so I may get 57mph, which I can live with. I like the looks of the military tires but 10 tires are going to cost about the same as if I went with 6 Goodyear and singled the truck out. Everyone I have talked to so far says not to go with the 1100x20's. Im just curious why not? Do most people prefer to have a duece singled out? Are these trucks worth more money when they have been singled out?

thanks

1968 Duece

212sparky

I am runing 10, 11x20 xl tires. I like them. Plus it gives a total of 5 spares if I was in a bind. I have seen guys blow a tire and not have a spare on the truck and had to borrow a tire to get home.

welldigger

It really depends on how you single the rear out. You can get 6 11.00x20's and run them on stock wheels singled out or you can run all 10. With the 11.00x20 ndt's it is a direct swap on tires with the exception of needing the larger tubes. If you go with the Goodyear g177 11.00x20's they may rub the rear trunnion bolts a little bit.

I prefer the 395/85/20 super singles. They are 46" tall and are the largest tires you can put on a stock deuce. They also get your speed up around 65 mph. They are also the absolute way to go if you do any off roading.

My 900x20 tires are pretty old on my truck so Im thinking about getting new tires. The problem is that I can't decied which tires to go with. Right now at about 2200RPM Im running around 52mph. I want to get a little more speed out of the truck so I was thinking about going with the titan 1100X20's. I have been told they add about 4-5mph, so I may get 57mph, which I can live with. I like the looks of the military tires but 10 tires are going to cost about the same as if I went with 6 Goodyear and singled the truck out. Everyone I have talked to so far says not to go with the 1100x20's. Im just curious why not? Do most people prefer to have a duece singled out? Are these trucks worth more money when they have been singled out?

thanks

1968 Duece
I just put a set of 1100x20 Titans on my Deuce. They seem to work fine. I'm not aware of any negatives.
The 900's are 40.5" tall and the 1100's are 43" tall. That is a 6.25% increase. This would increase your speed from 52 to just over 55 at 2200.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could go with the goodyear g177 in 1100x20 left in the back and 14.50x20 in the front also. Nice mean looking on front and you would still have 4 'spares' should something go wrong...

Anything larger in diameter, you will be shifting to 4th at the hint of a hill...

welldigger

395's can be mounted on stock deuce wheels. You would need 13.00/14.00 radial tubes. I much prefer 2 piece super single wheels of some varient myself. The stock lock rings are a pain to deal with as far as I'm concerned.

TehTDK

Welldigger, do you have any concrete proof or experience that a singled out truck will perform better than a non-singled out truck?. From my time here so far it seems that some claims its the singled out's that do best, while others claim its the duallies that does best, so yea personally I am in a bind. But in most cases I seem to prefer the dually look more.

welldigger

Well, where I live ground clearance is the way you get through the mud we have. If your not high enough to punch through the soup and grab the hard bottom you aren't going anywhere. If traction is an issue you can air down singles and your contact patch is still larger than duals.

I think a lot has to do with the terrain you intend on traversing. As I mentioned, here we have bottomless pits that on lighter vehicles you want to try and float over and paddle through. If you have a heavy vehicle you have to hope there is a bottom and your high enough to punch through and find it without bogging down.

A side affect of the larger singles is the increase in speed. Which for me, is a pretty important bonus. I use my deuce as a recovery vehicle for my drilling equipment in the winter. This is the time of the year when it rains. It can become a nightmare getting heavy trucks and trailers onto and out of jobsites when the ground becomes soup.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I second well diggers experience and suggestions. I will add to his post by mentioning that duals do have an advantage on road when you are running heavy loads. I find duals are more stable. Possibly due to there being twice the number of sidewalls under the load.

Rick

welldigger

I second well diggers experience and suggestions. I will add to his post by mentioning that duals do have an advantage on road when you are running heavy loads. I find duals are more stable. Possibly due to there being twice the number of sidewalls under the load.

Rick
True. Duals do seem to work better for heavy loads. Between twice the number of sidewalls and usually a shorter distance between tread and wheel they seem much more stable laterally.

That being said, 395's for example, have a very high load range. The deuce isn't heavy enough or rated to haul enough to really stress them.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
395's can be mounted on stock deuce wheels. You would need 13.00/14.00 radial tubes. I much prefer 2 piece super single wheels of some varient myself. The stock lock rings are a pain to deal with as far as I'm concerned.
Do the super single 2-piece wheels allow you to run tubeless? I've seen videos of the split rim wheels & that they need tubes (and seem a pain in the arse to work with). If possible, I'd like to go tubeless.

welldigger

Do the super single 2-piece wheels allow you to run tubeless? I've seen videos of the split rim wheels & that they need tubes (and seem a pain in the arse to work with). If possible, I'd like to go tubeless.
Yes super single wheels are tubeless ONLY. There is an o ring between the 2 wheel halves to seal the wheel. They also give the correct offset for large super singles.

There isn't a good reason to use the standard lock ring wheels with super singles in my opinion. They are hard to work with. Tubes for large tires can be hard to find. Most of all they have the wrong offset causing the tires to rub pretty bad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks