• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 towing an M818

sandcobra164

Has anyone here towbared an M818 behind a Deuce? I may have to move one about 15 miles and was wondering if it's ever been done. The route would be rural and of course at relatively low speeds. Just curious as to whether it would be possible.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'd do it, hook up the air to the front glad hand on the 818, maybe add some weight to the rear of the M35, keep it under 40, and :grd:

gunboy1656

Does the 5 ton have working brakes?

If yes then make up an air line between the 2 and you have brakes for the "trailer", which would make it a lot easier.

What are you calling slow speeds?

jwaller

the 5 ton will shove the deuce around. would only consider it if you could find 10k lbs to put in the back of the deuce.

it will be about 9k over gvw for the pintle.

USMC6062

I rode in a deuce when we towbared a M818 probably 40 miles on the interstate and some in town stops and turns. It handled it fine, I never felt the deuce get pushed around and the driver never complained of anything. We didn't have the deuce brakes tied to the 818 either. The tow deuce had 15.5/80R20's on it singled out, but I doubt that helped at all.

TaylorTradingCo

I would do it if I had to. You do what you have to do to get the job done. I think the key to doing these relatively risky/dangerous things safely is to makes slow changes. You won't have to worry about accelerating too fast, that won't be a problem. Just go slow and allow plenty of room for turning and stopping. The problem with that is the more room you leave, the more idiots jerk over in front of you. If you could rig up some lines for the brakes to work on the M818 it would help.

On another note. When I saw you down there a week or so ago, it was my first time hauling a 5-ton (XM818) on my gooseneck, and I was a little worried about it. It did fine. I have since hauled one to a base in KY and actually have one loaded right now for delivery tomorrow.

On yet another note. All three of the M818's I got from Albany cranked right up with little to no trouble at all. Those are going to be some of the best deals I got yet from GL.

Derek Taylor

sandcobra164

Appreciate the info, it seems like it's been done before and as long as I'm careful and mindful of the load, I should be good to go.

Derek,
I'm happy to hear the 818's you got from Albany started up just fine. I know the trucks out of Albany look rough cosmetically but they are solid trucks that were preserved prior to storage. The stuff that would rot in the sun of course were removed such as soft tops and seats but they should be mechanically sound.

kurtkds

I was prepared to tow my 818 with the deuce, had air lines ready to go. Ended up towing the Deuce with the 818 instead. :beer:

I had read up on what would be a good idea to have in the way of supplies and such. I figured that it wouldn't be a problem as long as I paid attention to what was going on behind me.

emr

Well I have towed my 813 with my deuce, for about 50 miles each way, need experience in my view of towbarring like vehicles before doing it is my opinion, have done deuce and deuce for 350 miles each way and alot in between, so i new what to expect, the 813 did want to take control once on a long down hill curve, but a pucker and firm grip rode it thru just fine, then when parked realized i had an air line off, funny I touch everything because i do not trust my eyes, now i need someone to follow me around because i cant trust my touch, but really... double check and drive then pull over and check all again, would not make a habit of it but its ok,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks