• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 transfer case shift lever

jimm1009

Hello fellow OD Green blooded owners. lol
I was messing around with installing by backup light switch and while I had the floorboard covers off
I was going to check things out and lube those areas that are more easily accessible from the top side.
Long story short, I noticed that there is a lot of lateral wobble in my transfer case shift lever mount and pivot, etc.
I pulled the bolts and the clevis pin out and the pin and bolts are what is worn in my case but in examining the
actual lever, it appears that there are steel bushings pressed in place here. That makes sense as the wear point
bushing that could be replaced over the lever and having to change it once worn in the bolt holes.
In looking in the TM there are not bushings shown which only means that the military was not intended to change these
and just replace the lever.
Has anyone here ever changed or drilled the hold oversize and pressed bushings into place? Being a helicopter maintenance
guy I like close tolerance fits and when things wiggle, things come apart in the sky. Obviously this is not the case here on a low
and slow truck but I am thinking that new bushings and close tolerance bolt may just make this area last for many decades
and stop that wobble which will settle my A.D.D. down some. lol
Thoughts?
jimm1009
aka, Jim

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
It is a shoulder bolt ?

See in TM 9-2320-361 24-1
Many don't look into the Work Packages but there is much good stuff in there with all the descriptions and drawings and part numbers.
Part #11?

WP 0133 00-00 and or WP 0133 00-2?
Anywho It is all in there.

If you want to know how to search any TM that is a PDF just ask

Last edited:

jimm1009

It is a shoulder bolt ?

See in TM 9-2320-361 24-1
Many don't look into the Work Packages but there is much good stuff in there with all the descriptions and drawings and part numbers.
Part #11?

WP 0133 00-00 and or WP 0133 00-2?
Anywho It is all in there.

If you want to know how to search any TM that is a PDF just ask
Standard bolts on the lever and Clovis pin on aft end of threaded clevis rod.

jimm1009

I was able to download the 364-24-1 and reviewed WP 0133 and also 134. Since I do not have a PTO on the transfer case the WP01345 is for me. I do not see any bushings for the lever. They identify new bolts, pin, and nuts but evidently there is not repair for the lever referenced as #10.
I also downloaded the 361-24P just for fun but there are no bushings in there either. I guess I will search at Grainger or McMaster Car and find some steel bushings. I will also look for a NOS lever too as they may be close to the cost of bushings, the proper drill bit, shipping, etc.
jimm1009
Jim

Jeepsinker

Bushings were probably a repair done at depot. You do need some slop in the lever. If you tighten it up to where you have no slop, it'll pop out of gear when you turn or when going over bumps sometimes as the frame flexes.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 72 M35A2 has a tendency to pop into neutral on the transfer case lever. When driving in high range, the lever moves forward while I'm accelerating. What should I look for to solve this problem?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 72 M35A2 has a tendency to pop into neutral on the transfer case lever. When driving in high range, the lever moves forward while I'm accelerating. What should I look for to solve this problem?
Got one that does the same thing. I chained mine to the seat, since it's very rare that I need low range and I use the same lock and chain that secures the steering wheel.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got one that does the same thing. I chained mine to the seat, since it's very rare that I need low range and I use the same lock and chain that secures the steering wheel.
Thanks, I'll try that. I figured it might have something to do with the linkage for that lever being loose or worn, but I couldn't find anything loose and it locks in to high/neutral/low with a solid click when I'm not moving. I would prefer not to spend time or money digging into it as long as it will stay in one range without causing damage. The chain idea sounds like a good one.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First get underneath with a pry-bar and check for loose mounts. Then grab the TC input shaft and check for any play.
The chain idea sounds like a good one.
That's only a temporary fix, at best...
Read this thread: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/transfer-case-slips-to-neutral-when-shifting.97455/

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks