• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 transmission

dgchavis

Looking to buy a deuce and a half and the one I am looking at has a problem with the "Interlocking shift plate"
how hard of an issue is it to replace this part and where to get one from. Not too knowledgeable about all of mechanical work so i am trying to do my studying before I purchase one. thanks in advance.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What is the "Interlocking shift plate"? If its just the top of the trans, that shouldn't be a big deal.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are the symptoms pf the problem? More description of what is happening with the tranny would help most of us give you a better answer. There are detent pins and balls under springs behind plugs in the tower that hold it in gear by selectively engaging machined radiuses in the shift rails that carry the shift forks that hold it in gear and prevent it being shifted in to two gears at once. A broken spring in one of them can cause problems. Also the tip of the stick engages the shift rails in a slot in each one. If there is wear on the end of the stick or in the rail slot it engages sometimes the stick can be forced out of one rail into another. When the end of the stick comes out of the rail that is in gear and slides between the rails and goes to the neutral position, then you are locked in gear and moving the stick will have no affect on getting any shifting done. I have used a welder to build up the stick end and the worn rail slots to stop the problem. At any rate, it sounds like all of it is in the top of the trans which is rather easily removed and replaced.
If you find it is stuck in gear, pull out the stick and look down in the tower. If you see a rail that has its stick tip slot out of alignment with the others, put the stick tip or a pry bar in it and pull it to neutral (inline with the others). You can also look at the stick end to see if it is worn and see the rail slots for wear that lets the stick get past one that is in gear into another that is in neutral. If you find these problems with your tower and are not comfortable with welding it, get another one and put it on.
Regards Martin

daytonatrbo

Looking to buy a deuce and a half and the one I am looking at has a problem with the "Interlocking shift plate"
how hard of an issue is it to replace this part and where to get one from. Not too knowledgeable about all of mechanical work so i am trying to do my studying before I purchase one. thanks in advance.
I just found the truck you are looking at in craigslist. I'd say that's a great deal. The tires are worth close to the asking price, and the drop-side bed is a must-have.

dgchavis

Going to look at it this weekend. Any suggestions on how to transport it from around Charlotte to a little town near pinehurst? roughly 3 hours

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just found the truck you are looking at in craigslist. I'd say that's a great deal. The tires are worth close to the asking price, and the drop-side bed is a must-have.
The wheels and tires are worth $200-$400 at my assessment.

The dropside bed is worth $400-$600.

The truck in total looks to be about a $1500 parts truck as it sits rigjt there. With a clean title and a fully functional transmission I rate it $3000-$4400 depending on tje brakes and tje transfer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks