• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Transport vs. Drive

poppop

I agree on the brakes. Check everything you can and then make several hard emergency stops on the yard, hard as you can push the petal. If there are any weak spots hopefully they will show up now. If this test is successful, then head out but treat any redlight, stop sign, and vechile in front of you as a very serious problem. Its better to be treated by that one finger salute than trying to explain to the officer that the brakes worked when I left the base. You need at least a couple changes of fuel filters just in casse the tank is dirty and a complete set of tools to work on whatever goes wrong. Of course bring supplies for you just in case you have to sleep under the truck and wait for help. It could be uneventful or could be a story you tell the Grandkids one day about the crasy things poppop did when he was younger.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just purchased a deuce from govliquidation auction and will need to pick it up soon. It is located at Ft Indiantown Gap in PA and I live in North GA, about 650 miles. I have not inspected the truck, but it supposedly runs and the photos look good. The best quote I have received for transport is roughly $2K. I'm considering trying to drive the deuce home. Am I crazy?
I drove my prize home from VA to TX knowing little about them other that the seller said it was completely roadworthy, and with a tool box for company. But I like adventure. The shift handle came off in my hand while accelerating on an on ramp about 500 miles out.

I your case the seller does not give a rats arse whether it's roadworthy or not. Take a chance but if anything bad happens, best to have the $2K+ at hand to have it carried the rest of the way home.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got my deuce after a 3+ week wait on the EUC. I flew into Harrisburg, PA on Sunday and took a taxi to Ft Indiantown Gap monday morning to meet Mike, the GL rep at my 0700 appointment. We both got there early. The deuce appeared to be in good condition. The fuel tank was full, radiator full, brakes and lights worked, etc. The oil was several quarts over-filled. There were no signs of any leaks, and frequent checks during the trip revealed no subsequent leaks. I was especially concerned about the brakes, but they worked flawlessly. The batteries were good and the engine started immediately. and there was good oil pressure and the alternator was charging ok. The deuce had 8 new tires, two about 33% worn and a very bad spare. It had been 38 years since my army days from the last time a drove a deuce, so I took a few minutes to remember where everything was. I left Ft Indiantown Gap at 0730 for the start of a 16-hour and almost 700 mile drive to Hiawassee, Georgia. The truck ran great and I only had a few problems noted below. My slow time was due to a slow speed of around 52 mph max, road construction and four thunderstormes.

1. The fuel gauge worked great on departure, but quit working after a few miles.
2. The inside turnsignal light started flickering after about 100 miles, but the outside lights continued to function properly.
3. During the first of four thunderstorms during the trip I discovered that the windshield wipers did not work - I forgot to test them prior to departure.
4. I got wet repeatedly due to massive amounts of rain coming in around the windshield due to leaks.
5. After about 500 miles, the right mirror deciced to partially fall off, although it appeared to be tight when I started. I re-attached the mirror.
6. At about 30 miles from the end of the trip, the speedometer needle started jerking due to a bad speedometer cable.
7. I had a VERY sore butt after 16 hours and 700 miles and very sore ears from cramming cheap ear plugs in too deep to cut the horrendous noise.
8. Fuel consumption was about 7 mpg, better than I expected.

All in all it was a very good trip and I would do it again. I also saved $1468.00 in transportation charges, the lowest quote I was able to obtain for truck transport. I obviously got a very good deuce since there were no serious drive-train problems. The truck ran and handled great. The radiator was still full at the end of the trip and oil consumption was nil. I also have to say that Mike, the GL rep at Ft Indiantown Gap, was very friendly and helpful, although I believe he thought I was crazy for starting off on such a long trip by myself with minimal tools. He was probably right.

God, my butt is sore!!!

jollyroger

I think I would have done what you did except I would have brought a chase vehicle.......Or bicycle. You know. Whatever it takes. Congrats. I drove mine home 50 miles and was starting to get fatigued. I can only imagine what you had to do.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I checked the oil and all fluids cold, before I started the engine. Then I drove it approximately 5 miles to a gas station, shut it down and checked for leaks and the oil level again, since it was over-filled. The oil is still overfilled after 700 miles as the truck used very little oil. I checked for leaks again today, and everything is completely dry on the drive train and brake areas. I did discover some rust on both doors that I hadn't seen previously, but minimal.

stumps

Hi Gary,

I'm not sure if you are aware, but the marks on the M35A2's dipstick are only valid when the truck is hot and has been shut off for exactly 60 seconds. When the truck is cold (defined as shut off for more than 6 hours), the oil level is supposed to be 1-1/2 inches over the FULL mark (which happens to be the "K" in "CHECK" on the dip stick). At any time between 60 seconds and 6 hours, it should be somewhere above the FULL mark (if it is full).

-Chuck

Last edited:

Keith_J

Congrats! You did fine. Remember, with the air wipers, you can manually actuate them. Hindsight what it is, a roll of duct tape does wonders to stem leaks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks