• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Wheel Bearing Issue

ICFDeuce

Ran into a wall while doing wheel bearings on my truck passenger side had no issue with but the driver side left me hanging. The driver side outer wheel bearing seems to be stuck on cannot get it off thus cannot remove drum or spindle. We tried pry bars and all that nothing not sure what i should do any help is much appreciated

mrcucv

Is the bearing stuck in the race? I am not too familiar with the setup on the duece but if you can grab the back side of the bearing with a slide hammer or something you could yank it out. I am trying to think of past expierences on other vehicles.

ICFDeuce

Is the bearing stuck in the race? I am not too familiar with the setup on the duece but if you can grab the back side of the bearing with a slide hammer or something you could yank it out. I am trying to think of past expierences on other vehicles.
No the bearing seems to be stuck to the spindle

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Was it dry (i.e. no grease) and seized to the spindle?

If not, it's probably just a really tight interference fit. I've gotten bearings like this off in a multitude of ways, including but not limited to slide hammers with small hooks, a brass punch and a mallet to break them free, an air hammer on the inner race (careful of the spindle!) to rotate it around and off, etc.

deuceman08

ive had this happen on other vehicles and i am also not familiar with the wheel bearings on the m35a2s but ive used clamshell pullers and or heated them to expand it. hope this helps

mrcucv

yeah id just be careful of the spindle. and you arent keeping the bearing anymore so id use an air hammer to get it off. also dont spin the bearing too much cause you dont want the rollers to fly out or the cage can end up cutting your hand. that has happened to me once. not fun. but it can come off will some force. I dont know if id heat up cause you might heat the spindle up too much and weaken it

G-Force

Put the wheel back on with a couple of lugs. See if you can push in on the top of the wheel and pull out to try and use the wheel as a slide hammer on the bearing. Make sure it isn't hanging on the brake shoes. Also, If you can get a piece of wood like a 4 x 4 that will span from the inside bottom of that wheel to the other wheel on the other side this will act like a fulcrum for you when you pull out on the top.

cbvet

I had to use a torch on mine. I used oxy/acetylene with a small tip & heated a small area real quick. Bearing popped off pretty easily.
I then spent over 2 hours using emery cloth to remove the the residue from the bearing, fused to the spindle. That stuff was HARD!

rlwm211

It is possible the outer bearing is cocked slightly which would be enough to stop if from moving. Take a drift and a hammer and tap the inner race of the bearing all the way around the spindle and see if reseating it frees it up. Liberal use of a good penetratoing oil is a good idea at this point.
If this does not work, you can try putting a tire back on the drum/hub. I would put the tire on with the rim outward for easier access. Put a nut back on the end of the spindle to protect the threads. Try rocking the tire with a buddy and see if doing this forces the bearing to move. An alternate would be to lower the axle wtih the tire contacting the ground to apply pressure to try to pop the bearing out.
If this does not work, you can try heating the inner race of the outer bearing with a torch (even just a propane torch may be enough). Try not to heat the spindle. A couple of hundred degrees of heat differential will expland the bearing enough to allow it to move and come off. Having the tire as a handle will make it easier to get the bearing to move.
Chances are the bearing may have run dry; that is without grease and it got hot and that is why it may be stuck. If this does not work, it is the oxy/acetylene torch and cut the inner race and plan on replacing the outer race and bearing at a minimum and probably the inner bearing and race along with the seal.
Hope this helps.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If this does not work, it is the oxy/acetylene torch and cut the inner race and plan on replacing the outer race and bearing at a minimum and probably the inner bearing and race along with the seal.
Hope this helps.
While I have cut the race many times when all else fails, you need to be pretty experienced with a torch to do this. If you're not good with a torch don't try it. It is very easy to cut the spindle if you get too much heat on it or aren't easy enough on the trigger.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks