• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 will not start

SrIrie

Ok well here is the problem.
My M35A2 will not start on its own if I give it a little shot of ether it fires right up and runs. Once running it idles smooth and runs down the road as it should. But no matter if it is cold or warmed up it will not start on its own. This all started after being parked awhile (tires were shot) and never had any issue before.

I have pulled the lift pump out of the tank and checked the screen thinking it was having problems getting enough fuel, nothing on the screen. I have recently replaced all fuel filters before parked and have checked and bled fuel filters thinking air was trapped with no avail.

Would appreciate any advice this thing is driving me nuts.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

If the in tank pump is actually turning, I would check if the pre-igniter is functioning. If the flame heater works as it should per the starting instructions, and the vehicle fires up ok, then that would be the method of starting for me.
One of my deuces fires before the engine turns over hardly at all! And yet my other deuce requires a quick heat and crank then runs fine. All my 5 tons require the flame heater to run until the engine rpms settle. Sometimes additional flicks of the flame heater is required. Hope this helps some.

SrIrie

Yes it is pumping
I have not put a pressure gauge on it but when you open the bleeders on the filters it sprays out very well.

SrIrie

Yes FDC is Bypassed

Filters only have the last trip on them when my tire blew the reason it was parked awhile,
about 500 miles on them.

I do not know if it is loosing prime or not, not to sure how to check. But I would not think it could loose prime so quick. Because even if it is up to temp and I have been driving it if I turn it off and I immediately try to restart it, it will not start back up.

The King Machine

The fact it sat for awhile makes me suspicious of fuel system as a whole or you have a birds nest in your engine air intake.
In this weather my truck fires up if I look at it funny. Air, Fuel, and combustion, one of them is not doing very well.
I'm going to hypothesize based on the information you have shared], you have an issue brewing with your IP.
Or
Your truck has become addicted to ether lol

Find a dark room. Breath deep, light some candles
Take your tablet, put on some soft classical music. I often use sounds of nature recordings

And

Read TM for trouble shooting the IP and Injectors.

Last edited:

SrIrie

I checked the intake when I started this process thinking the hornets had moved in and made a nest, there is allot of hornets around here but they had not. I have also read the trouble shooting TM's and went through the steps many times and tested everything I can, thinking I was missing something. Unfortunately I believe you are right about the IP, everything has pointed me to it as well. I do not have the means to test the IP but everything has lead me to remove or replace the IP. I guess I just do not want to believe it because I can not afford one at this time and just finally got new tires and wheels so I could drive it again.

I think I may just feed its ether addiction for awhile so I can enjoy it again until I can get a new IP.:driver:

If there is anyone that has any other ideas or things I should try. I am still listening

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the truck was running ok after it starts and the problem was in the IP it would be the HH and not the lower unit. Just replace the Head. How long do you wait after you turn on the master switch before you hit the starter? You could try and let in tank pump run longer before you hit the starter and see if that helps. Turn on the master and go kick the tires and check the oil then hit the starter. Report back.

Last edited:

rustystud

It could be your loosing prime in the Hydraulic Head due to wear. After you shut it down, instead of holding the pressure the HH allows it to leak down. Then when you try and restart there is no fuel to fire. I would also check that intank fuel pump. Put a pressure gauge on it to make sure there is at least 6 psi coming out. This can help a worn HH keep working as the pump will compensate for the loose of fuel due to wear. But if your HH is worn and your intank pump is bad then I can see having to use "ether" to get it to fire off.

SrIrie

If the truck was running ok after it starts and the problem was in the IP it would be the HH and not the lower unit. Just replace the Head. How long do you wait after you turn on the master switch before you hit the starter? You could try and let in tank pump run longer before you hit the starter and see if that helps. Turn on the master and go kick the tires and check the oil then hit the starter. Report back.
I let the in tank pump run for about 2 minutes before hitting the starter. No change still does not fire. I have never seen just the HH anywhere where could I get just HH or is it something I could have rebuilt. The cheapest I have seen a reman IP is $900 to $1000 so if I can get just the head that would be great. Cheaper is good I can get it fixed sooner.

It could be your loosing prime in the Hydraulic Head due to wear. After you shut it down, instead of holding the pressure the HH allows it to leak down. Then when you try and restart there is no fuel to fire. I would also check that intank fuel pump. Put a pressure gauge on it to make sure there is at least 6 psi coming out. This can help a worn HH keep working as the pump will compensate for the loose of fuel due to wear. But if your HH is worn and your intank pump is bad then I can see having to use "ether" to get it to fire off.
I put my pressure gauge on it this morning after I tried turning the pump on and waiting to start it. It read a needle under 9 psi.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you can get the heads. Would you be willing to try something else for me. Remove the shut down cover from the side of the HH and there you will find fuel control assembly. It should be in about the 7 oclock position. If you have a remote starter use it or have someone else hit the starter while you hold the fuel control assembly as far as it will go to the front of the truck. If it does start you can just let go of the fuel control and it should go to idle or you can apply or decrease rpm using the fuel control. This is a long shot and when everything is correct the fuel control goes to full fuel position when the motor is shut down. I just want to see if you can hold the fuel control coller higher longer so the spill port stays closed longer.

SrIrie

I am willing to try just about anything.;)
Just to clarify the cover that is on the IP where the fuel shutdown rod goes in, where the engine stop is connected. I will give it a try this afternoon when I have someone else to push the starter button.

Also where can I get just the heads, I must be inept because I can not seem to find them.

SrIrie

Yes you can get the heads. Would you be willing to try something else for me. Remove the shut down cover from the side of the HH and there you will find fuel control assembly. It should be in about the 7 oclock position. If you have a remote starter use it or have someone else hit the starter while you hold the fuel control assembly as far as it will go to the front of the truck. If it does start you can just let go of the fuel control and it should go to idle or you can apply or decrease rpm using the fuel control. This is a long shot and when everything is correct the fuel control goes to full fuel position when the motor is shut down. I just want to see if you can hold the fuel control coller higher longer so the spill port stays closed longer.
Just did this with the same results, did not start on its own. :(

Can you point me in the direction to where I could get just the HH.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Can you point me in the direction to where I could get just the HH.
I am not allowed to give the specifics but if one was to go that popular auction site and had $371.92
to spend then one may find one of these. I see there are NO MORE USA made to be had. This is like a cost of 2.7 cents a pound to save my ornament, (free labor here)HH on the bay.JPG.
It is a product. I neither like or dislike it. When I need one then I will REALLY need one or I have a 14,000 lb lawn ornament.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks