• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 winch conversion and rebuild.

cummins7

M35A2 WINCH CONVERSION AND REBUILD.

First step of converting a WO/W to a W/W is obvious, you need to find a winch "kit" or a parts truck. I opted to find a complete truck that way I know I got everything I need and I'd have some idea how it all goes back together. The truck I sourced my parts from was a 1953 m35a1 gasser, it was in rough shape but the guy didn't mind if I took all the winch related stuff. For $500 and me pulling it I thought it was a great deal!
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
I will give you some detail on how I removed everything but it's pretty basic.

Tools needed:
1/2" impact sockets 9/16-15/16
Wrenches 7/16-15/16
Impact or breaker bar
Grinder
Torch (or cut off wheel)
Various punches, chisels
Various hammers
Adjustable wrench
9/16 open end wrench (pto)
Crowbars
Engine lift or some way to lift
Safety glasses
Friend

First thing I did was remove the bumper(it was junk and I didn't want it!) so after letting all the bolts soak with some kroil I began disassembly. There's 4 1/2"x 11" bolts (2 on each side) that hold the shackle mount. Plan on torching these off! Then there is 2 5/8"x 11" bolts (1 on each side) that hold the shackle on, once again plan on cutting them off. After that it's all pretty much your standard fine thread bolts. Once you get the bumper off you can begin taking the extension bracket bolts off. Then your pto drive shaft then your pto (if you can, grab the studs!) I pulled the winch assembly with brackets assembled out of the frame (luckily the guy had a forklift so after some crowbar work it slipped right out.) You can do it without removing the bumper but I chose not to take it (see pics).

image.jpgimage.jpg
Once you get it home it's up to you what you wanna do depending on condition of your parts.

I opted to clean, reseal, repair any worn or broken parts and repaint.

I'll go into detail about the disassembly of the winch. First your gonna wanna put it on a table or work area and make sure it's secure. Then you wanna take off your extension brackets. You'll notice 12 shouldered bolts (6 on each side) keep these!! They are hard to find and are required for proper and safe winch usage. Now is a good time to remove the gear cover and make sure you didn't get a useless winch. Remove the 2 remaining bolts and pull off the cover, look for broken teeth, pitting, excessive wear, rust and any kind of damage. If everything checks out it's off to removing the drum lock side of the winch. I would start with the 3/4" tie rod on the bottom and remove that. Then you can remove the back plate and top plate. After some turning and twisting the left case should just slip off. Clean, inspect and begin to install your new seals. The biggest seal can be replaced fairly easily. The clutch engagement shaft seal can be a pain but is possible with out removing the shaft. It's behind the plate so you'll have to remove the Woodrow key. My drum lock pin was bent and unusable so I had to machine a new one. It's 1/2" stock and turned down to 5/16" and threaded 5/16" 18. The brake "pad" was worn but I just flipped it upside down to the less worn side. I can't seem to find a new one. Put it in primer and your done(with that side). Then we'll start with the brake band housing. Pull the cover off and inside you'll most likely find a rusted mess. Start off by removing the brake band which is held on by the adjusting bolt. Then remove the brake "drum" (I used a harmonic balancer pulley remover) make sure you pay attention to the way it's facing. Depending on condition clean it up and if necessary chuck it up on a lathe and take a couple passes until it's smooth. The brake band right now doesn't seem to be available new so I reused mine until I can find a new one. Once the brake drum is off you should see 4 bolts, remove them and the housing should pull off. Clean, inspect and remove the old seal and add the new one. Use gasket maker and assemble everything back up. Next we'll go onto the input shaft, pretty straight forward. Remove the four bolts and the retaining plate should come off. Clean, inspect, install new seal and seal it up and reinstall. It's up to you if you wanna replace the winch drum seal on the input side, I did not just because I didn't wanna disassemble it that much more.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

With that done we can move on to the pto. Your basic seal kit should come with 2 selector shaft seals, 2 boots and a output shaft seal. First take the inspection cover off by removing the 6 bolts. Then you should see a cup/nut on the out side of the pto, remove that and be careful it's under spring tension and has a small detent ball. Now you can begin to remove the selector shaft, cut the wire on the fork bolt and remove and using a brass punch and hammer you should be able to tap the shaft out. Pay attention to the way the shaft comes out and install in the same manner, be careful to not knock out the seal on the other end. Once out you can use a seal puller to pop out the boot retaining cups and seals. Clean everything up and install the new seals then the boots and then the retaining cups. Next move on to the output shaft seal, remove the four bolts and remove the Woodrow key then remover the retaining plate. Remove the old seal, clean, install the new seal, seal it up and reassemble. Install the fork bolt and wire then put gasket sealer or gasket on the inspection cover and your done.

I'll add to this post as I continue, right now I'm waiting to make the new top and back plate to continue. If up to now I missed anything let me know... I'll go back an add about what parts to take and ect (data plates, latches) I do have pictures!! Just wanted to get a basic outline started.

Last edited:

18operator

Interesting homemade? bumper/fairlead set up. I'll be keeping an eye on this rebuild. Maybe a good winter project for me and my truck.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Dear god!

What happened to that parts truck!??

It looks like its been well abused.

You have done a great job on bringing the winch back to life.

I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

What are you going to use to lubricate the winch?

Aussie.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That winch fairlead on the bumper is actually a smart idea, given that there is no auto-spool and any angled pull leaves you with a winch cable mess that you have to clean up after. It seems sturdy and would look bada** when restored.

cummins7

Little bit of an update: I got the PTO installed and used a .020 and .010 gasket. It gave minimal slop and I have no whining or loud/strange noises. You can barely hear it run when engaged. I'll post the pn: for the studs, but I used 3/8 16 x 3/8 24 1.75" in total length and they fit perfect! You can use the jam nut technique to get them in if you don't have an install tool. My dog bone clutch wouldn't budge so after using a crow bar to get it off I filed down all the sharp edges and took some fine emery cloth over the shaft and sliding clutch. Now I can engage and disengage with one finger. After stumbling across another thread I decided to fix the oblong drum lock pin hole, I will take pics and post when completed.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

cummins7

Here's some pics of my drum lock pin fix. I used a transfer punch that fit snug all the way through and zeroed off that. Went about .250", didn't wanna take a chance of cutting through to the inside of the case. Next I'll machine a bushing that will press in there (most likely aluminum, unless anyone has suggestions?)

Last edited:

cummins7

Since you have the machining capability why not make the bushing out of brass ?
That's a good idea, I made the pin out of stainless T304 and didn't want to put a hard bushing in there to cause more damage. I think brass should be soft enough to deflect some force and not damage the housing or shear the pin. Another thing I was looking at was stepping down to a .75" end mill and going a little deeper, I'm not sure if a .25" is thick enough for a bushing. I got the idea from gringletube (not sure on spelling) but only had a picture to go off of.
image.jpeg

cummins7

UPDATE:
I got the winch installed and have messed around with it a little to make sure it operated as designed. I had to pull my bumper and brush guard. Install the extension brackets (keep bolts loose) then mounted the winch brackets to the winch ( they can be tight). Had to use an alignment punch in a few holes but everything lined up perfect and all the bolts tightened up. My winch driveshaft came from a gasser so I had to do some minor grinding on the bell housing but other than that it was just turning wrenches. Wanna say thanks to everyone that I got the parts and info I needed!!
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Winch looks great. I still say that this badas* fairlead in a cleaned up condition would be helpful in the absence of a level wind.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks