• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 with trashed rear spring seat/tandem axil

gene

Hi, first time posting. First MV an M35a2 LDT465-1D with rear singles. Brought my deuce home yest and was feeling elated until inspected rear spring seats/tandem axil bracket. Left side spring seat and axil bracket trashed and wollerd out. Would appreciate greatly any advice on where to obtain these parts and any suggestions about how best to go about the job safely. Have manuels covering these topics. FYI, although disappointed, I have always wanted a deuce and now this one is mine. Inexperience, yes. Paying close attention to veterans of the steel soldiers, indeed. Thanks.

Gene

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try Idaho Motor Pool. They 're up by you. Or down here in Ca. Antelope Valley Truck and Equipment or Barstow Truck parts. See if you can find a copy of Military Vehicles Magazine. There are lots of advertizers there. Good luck. Snap a picture of what you need, sometimes people here have them.

FreightTrain

Banned
nopics

Whoo hoo,I got to use it first!!!!

But for real,if you can give us pics so we know exactly what your needing.If it is a link then they are on Ebay all the time and the inserts can be changed if you have the tools.If it is a hanger then you might have to find a parts deuce and steal the good part off.Memphis though will have EVERYTHING!Ted's Trucks and Stuff down here in bama will too and he might be a little cheaper but I would check those 2 first.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to Steel Soldiers, Gene!

gene

Thanks Westfolk, clinto. Happy to be present and acounted for. Will get the wife to show me how to get the pics onto thread.

Sua Sponte,
Gene

gene

pics of tandem axil/rear spring seat

as per instructions, here are the pics of the damaged parts I discovered. Again, if anyone has been through this repair and has any advice that would be great. Westfolk, am checking sources and prices, will get in touch when I know more.

gene

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: pics of tandem axil/rear spring seat

Gene, you need to download the TMs from the manual section to see how to take that apart and how to set it up.

gene

Thanks Will, gonna get right on that. Was checking out another thread concerning a fellow with a blown trany. The immediate help and the way SS members rally to the call is outstanding.

gene

Truck spent time on an indian res, think preventative maint was not quite up to snuff. My plan is to correct this prob first, put a new seal in the leaking steering gear, replace the airboost, and do a total lube and filter and grease job before truck hits the road again. Then I will march through the prev maint regularly.

FreightTrain

Banned
Looks like someone stuffed a bushing in there and welded the nut over top of it.A non aproved field repair?I would find a parts truck somewhere and replace the hanger and the pivot.Looks like it has been bashed with a hammer at some point.Heck,if you can find a off roader that took 2 axles out for a mud runner you could buy the left overs pretty cheap.Might be easier to replace the entire rear suspention in one piece.

rwelker

Gene, I had the same thing happen on my truck. From your pictures it looks like your truck is one of the fairly late models, in the late 60's or 70's. These later ones had coned inserts shaped like tapered roller bearings but were just a bushing. I would highly recommend replacing the whole assembly including the shaft and mounts. A heavy item job but not high tech. Parts from a used truck should be low priced as these are not in great demand. At least rethread the shaft to clean it up since it has been welded on. The older trucks used tapered roller bearings which as I recall are the same ones as the front wheel bearings; don't recall if outer or inner. Parts manuals would indicate. I rebuilt my both sides with new tapered bearings and seals; adjust them same as a wheel bearing. Provide them with LOTS of grease to keep out moisture. They are in a bad area to get moisture in from tire spray. You will need big blocks; big wrenchs, lotsa penetrating fluid, and some patience. Should take you about a day to fix properly. The fun of owning an old military truck. ENJOY!! Rick

FreightTrain

Banned
Should be too hard of a job.12 bolts for the mount,4 bolts on the drive shaft,one hose for the brake line and you coudl roll the old axle set out as a unit.Assemble everything outside the truck then roll it back under and reattach.Would be a very heavy job so you might want to invest in some railroad ties and a cherry picker.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
rwelker said:
...... The older trucks used tapered roller bearings which as I recall are the same ones as the front wheel bearings; don't recall if outer or inner....
Yes, 2 x #392, same as outer bearings all around.
Kind of weak(est) link in that system! :?

PWM

Gene

Nice to see some more members in my neck of the woods. Alex at Idaho Motor Pool has a few complete sets of rear axle assemblies for about $900. These have both axles, springs, torque rods, etc. I have been contemplating purchasing a set just for the spare parts. I also have a friend in Post Falls that may still have a parts truck with the parts you need. I am not sure yet but I may be going to Idaho Motor Pool next week depending on money.

Pete

moreorles2

The original post got me to thinking about how this rear spring seat is lubricated. The LO states: remove the plug in the bottom of the seat and and install fitting - loosen the screws on the bearing cap and lube with GAA until it appears around the cap then reinstall the plug. I guess my question is - what fitting do they want us to install? Is it a zerk fitting ? If the answer is yes, why not leave the zerk in place permanently? Am I missing the obvious?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks