• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Working (fun this time) Farm Truck

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some pictures one of our deuces, implement trailer, and Massey Ferguson 1100 tractor after returning from a modified tractor pull. We just got this truck this March from Stout Field from GL. After using an M135 GMC for years on implement trailers, an M35 is a real power treat to drive! We have set up the fuel, modified the injection pump, and re-worked the heads a bit to give it better breathing.
The Massey 1100 has a 1968 GMC 478 cubic inch V-6 I adapted into it. The V-6 engines of that era are really good flat torque curve and horsepower engines. It is no problem to maintain 5 mph+ wheel speed during a pull. If we add magnum heads, more power up into the 250 horse range is available. We had never pulled the tractor before, and we were really pleased with 190% on dirt transfer sled with no weight/balance or drawbar modifications, and only turning 2500 RPM out of an available 3500 because it is set that low for farming, for which it is used every year.
Regards Mari

Attachments

poppop

Nice looking truck!!! We now have a pull track 15 miles from me and I hope to get time to take my antigue tractors there and play a little. A year ago or so, before clinto got the ga rally going, I thought about having one here and talked to the track owner about us bringing the trucks for exibition pulls. He was very excited about it and disappointed when I let it drop.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks really similar to the M175 massey I have, maybe bigger? Mines still stock, 63 hp perkins diesel.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stretch 44875:
Your Massey is probably more close to the Super 90 I have. It has A 64 HP Perkins in it, a 4 cylinder. A really good tractor. I hope you like yours as well as we do ours. Lots of power, and good on fuel. The 1100 originally had a Waukesha 320 CI straight six gas in it. It went bad, dropped a valve. Parts were so expensive I decided to change over to another engine. They wanted too much for a 354 Perkins, so I went to the truck junk yard and bought the 478 V-6 for $350 and machined the adapters, made the side frames, etc. to install it. I had to add the extra radiator you see behind the seat with electric fans to keep it cool when doing heavy work like plowing, etc.
Regards Marti

Attachments

OD_Coyote

Thanks for the info M543A2!
I have a Cat D4 that weighs about 10,700 without the blade and I was wondering if my deuce would be able to tow once in awhile.

54reo

M543A2 said:
Stretch 44875:
Your Massey is probably more close to the Super 90 I have. It has A 64 HP Perkins in it, a 4 cylinder. A really good tractor. I hope you like yours as well as we do ours. Lots of power, and good on fuel.
I too have a Super 90, and I agree with you in that it is a great machine!

Any pics?

Mine is not much to look at, but it is a real work horse. (and yes, it almost went over in this pic)

Attachments

beaubeau

I am familiar with that 478CI. There are many different sizes like 305,351,401 478, and 478 Magnum. LOng stroke and Torquie!! Did U know there is a Diesel made with that same block? I installed one in a 1968 GMC Pick up years ago.They were used in single axel GMC trucks. I know they were also used IN LIne as a 12cylinder in larger trucks. Now those qwere Going Machines!!{PROBLY had a 1/2 inch fuel line!!?? The 478 Thoro Flo would crank 3600 RPM and it would SCREAM!! I actually got as much as 35 mpg out of it in a 1/2 ton pick up. Verry loud engine!! I have seen several around still going. Good luck with BOTH vehicles, Phil

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beaubeau:
I have probably 25 to 30 of the V-6 engines here. I fell in love with them when i worked in a GMC garage in the 70's. I also have two Toro-Flows and four 702 V-12's. All you say about their torque and HP is so true!
The 478 in the Massey has a bore of 5 1/8" and a stroke of 3.86 inches with a 7" long rod.
We were getting an easy 22 MPG in our GMC 4000 cab-over with the Toro-Flow V-6.
Regards Marti

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
54Reo:
I am attaching photos of our Super 90. It has 23.1 x 30 calcium loaded rear tires, and has power enough to use them. We put dual exhaust pipes on it because the manifold got in the way of injection pump adjustments. When we bought it, we found the engine had cracked sleeves, so we bought a MF 410 combine with a recently overhauled motor and put it in the tractor. That is why it has a red "middle"!!
Regards Marti

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks