• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2

ackcarus

I just bought a M35A2, and got it home. I need to verify the vin number and manufacture and year. My ID plate reads 0325-79. From your article, my guess would be manufactured in 1969? On the plate where the manufactures name is supposed to be is blank. And the serial number looks incomplete. When it was redone in 1992 the serial number on that plate is complete (0325.12769). I did not find a vin by the steering box but if found a round tag wired to the body with the numbers (J02GFF6 0325.12769 619 NW 19) Is there a way to find out who made this truck?
If it would help the transfer case is a T 136 27 serial number GA8-43. I would really appreciate the help.
Tks Dan
New to site :?:

Attachments

ida34

If it is a 1969 then it will be a Kaiser Jeep. I would sand the area around the steering box to make sure you have the right vin number. The pic abobe is just the rebuild tag. I think you already know that. The data plate without the manufacturer is the one that counts as a vin plate. You might want to do a search as David Doyle has covered some of this. Welcome to the site.

hole

My truck also has the round tag on the frame and no frame #'s David Doyle and Medlog were able to tell me mine is a 1952 studebaker gasser that was repowed with a multi fuel

ida34

Your truck had the data plate replaced during the depot rebuild. They put on generic (no manufacturer) data plate and most of the time they did not fill in the manufacturer. They also put the information on the new data plate by hand punch or by hand engraver. Looks like the guy doing your data plate was feeling a little weak that day.

ackcarus

It looks like the truck is a Kaiser, but before I put it on the SF-97 I need to be sure. It also looks the my numbers are as follows:
Registration number is J02GFF6
Serial number is 0325-12769

The problem is that in some examples I got from the GL sale site these are not consistent with years of manufacture that I can find, I would think that this one below is a 1969.

KAISER JEEP. MDL:M35A2-WO/ W , 2 1/ 2 TON CARGO TRUCK 6X6 , 6 CYLINDER DIESEL ENGINE. HRS:348 , MILEAGE:10458. ID# 0325-17926-69. ( VEHICLE STARTS ) , " BUYER LOAD

This one says it is a 1968 but the serial number looks like that of a newer truck, and more like the 1970 one.
1968, KAISER JEEP CORP. , TRUCK CARGO, VIN 04A-82770-0825-26870, 2-1/ 2 TON CAPACITY, 6 X 6, TRANSMISSION REMOVED, ENGINE MISSING SEVERAL PARTS/ COMPONENTS, MILES AND HOURS UNKNOWN, GOOD PARTS TRUCK.

1970, KAISER JEEP CORP. , TRUCK TRACTOR, XM818, VIN 05B-33070-C124-107621, 5 TON, 6 CYL DIESEL ENGINE, 5 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION, 6 X 6, 19, 934 MILES LISTED, 623 HOURS LISTED, DOES NOT START.

Then there are the others that don’t really look like any examples I’ve seen???? The 4K 4A, 5B and 4L look like registration numbers???

KAISER JEEP CORP. MDL M35A2 6 X 6 2 1/ 2 TON CARGO TRUCK REGISTRATION NUMBER: 4K-7470, GVWR 18, 530 LBS. ,ODOMETER INDICATES 11, 973 MILES, SOFT TOP, PERSONNEL HEATER, CONTINENTAL LD-465 6 CYLINDER MULTIFUEL ENGINE, FIVE-SPEED MANUAL OVERDRIVE TRANSMISSION, TWO-SPEED TRANSFER CASE., **TRUCK RUNS**, HAS PART# 7538687 10, 000 LB. CAPACITY FRONT MOUNTED WINCH ASSY. MFR. UNKNOWN **LOADOUT MONDAY & FRIDAY ONLY** **BUYER LOAD**
KAISER JEEP MDL M35A2 6 X 6 2 1/ 2 TON CARGO TRUCK VIN# 4L-8670, GVWR 18, 530 LBS. ,ODOMETER AND HOUR METER HAVE BEEN REMOVED, MANUAL TRANSMISSION, HAS CONTINENTAL MDL LDT-465-1D MULTIFUEL ENGINE, RUNNING CONDITION UNKNOWN, HAS CARGO AREA SIDE RACKS, HAS FRONT MOUNTED WINCH ASSY. MFR. ,MDL & CAPACITY UNKNOWN **BUYER LOAD**

So then I’m confused by all of this stuff and have no idea what to enter on the SF 97 form, and at $60.00 a shot, I don’t want to make to many mistakes.

Tks for all your help.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I don't know for sure, But according to what I've read here, the number stamped into/on the outside of the frame rail inside the drivers side front wheelwell is the default number when the truck is rebuilt with parts from other trucks. I had to wire brush the paint down a couple of layers to find the number, because when I frst looked for it on my trucks it could not be seen.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to say it's a 1969 from looking a DDoyles article in MVM. Are there any numbers painted on the inside of the doors? That would be your registration number and the last two digits would be "69".

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1968, KAISER JEEP CORP. , TRUCK CARGO, VIN 04A-82770-0825-26870, 2-1/ 2 TON CAPACITY, 6 X 6, TRANSMISSION REMOVED, ENGINE MISSING SEVERAL PARTS/ COMPONENTS, MILES AND HOURS UNKNOWN, GOOD PARTS TRUCK.

Something is bad wrong with the numbers on this truck. "04A-82770" is the registration number and that says it's a 1970. "0825-26870" is the s/n that says it's a 1982 or 83. :?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
look on the axle data plates for a year, they are rarely changed in sets, if they all show the same year you will know it is at least that new

ackcarus

I really appreciate the input, I have worked on trucks before, I had a DUKW and a halftrack should have kept the trucks and dumped the wife (before I got ride of the trucks)

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Organization: 1ST BATTALION 183D AVIATION HEADQUARTERS AND HEADQUARTERS SQUADRON
Nomenclature:TRUCK CARGO 2-1/2T Model:M35A2 NSN:2320000771616
Serial Number:32512769 Registration Number:NK0FP1 Usage Miles: 6372
Truck went from Toole to this unit.
This is the only record in the system and did not have a manufacture date. Next step is to consult David Doyle.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the way I understand it the "03" (first two numbers in the s/n) is what is called the lot number. The "03" lot was built between 1968 to 1970. NK0FP1 is the registration number. The "NK" registration numbering system didn't start till 1972. I don't understand how a truck could be 1969 (witch is what I believe it is from the s/n) and have NK0FP1 as the registration. Maybe DDoyle will chime in.

The wording on the door isn't "CAPC 2/92" it's "CARC 2/92". That's the date when the CARC (Cemical Agent Resistant Coating) was applied.

ida34

The frame number is the one they use when they are rebuilt. No matter what the cab or other parts were originally on. That is why they are really mix masters and looking at the year does not always represent an accurate picture. The year of the frame is the only thing you could know for sure. Use the frame number and I would make the data plate match the frame number. Just know that technically the data plate can be considered a vin plate and altering or changing out a vin plate is a felony in most states. That being said I would get a blank plate and punch in the numbers from the frame then never tell anyone what you did.

ida34

They come up on ebay and some sellers make them repro. I got one for my truck for when the winch is installed. If you get one get the one that matches what you have not the generic one. In other words, if you have a Kaiser Jeep then get a Kaiser Jeep dataplate. Be sure to get a with winch or without based on what your truck is. Data plates are grey area compared to the regular vin plates on vehicles. It is enough of a grey area that one could be fighting it in court but they contain more information than regular vin plates and they do get damaged. I have one that is painted over on one of my trailers. If I try to remove the paint the silkscreen comes off. I will have to get a data plate for it. I would say you are find as long as you don't offer up the info and make sure the data plate matches the frame numbers. Do a google search also but I have seen them on Ebay but I forgot the seller.